Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Derek Roxborough

Ballan Wrasse for salmon farms
« on: 21/10/2018 at 21:01 »
how the Cornish  fishermen are supplying salmon farms with 17,000 wrasse each year, paying £17.50 for each one,but Cornish fisheries are, declaring no take zones because of doubts about sustainability for the fishery, but while the program was being made boats were fishing in the no take zone, I wonder about the knock on effect, what will take the place of the wrasse, nature abhors a vacuum, locally there is mention of an increase in Octopus,  ???  Derek Roxborough

Rob Brownfield

Re: Ballan Wrasse for salmon farms
« Reply #1 on: 22/10/2018 at 09:49 »
The Scottish Salmon Farms currently remove an estimated 100,000 Wrasse from the eco system per year.

This is being challenged by a couple of organisation who are stating that this is a bad practice that is having far reaching implications for wild fish stocks all along the British coastline.

Wrasse are a "cleaner" fish in part, and will help keep parasites down in other fish stocks. The removal of a natural check on parasites can only go one way.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #2 on: 22/10/2018 at 17:16 »
 the Norwegians consider the wrasse to be a disease  vector, so I wonder how long it will take our lot to find that,  no such thing as a free lunch Rob, :z12 Derek Roxborough

Andy MacArthur

« Reply #3 on: 22/10/2018 at 21:14 »
Annoyingly, when I making a striving to make a living at the creels, along comes a wrasse boat ,which required no fishing license or quota, shot gear everywhere  and  the salaried crew were selling the lobster by catch under the radar for huge piles of cash.

It’s not just the lice that are parasites!

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #4 on: 22/10/2018 at 23:38 »
I feel your pain , I worked at the lobsters,  only to see the divers coming in, evidently when the wrasse go the Octopus move in, and they are death to lobsters :z8 Derek Roxborough

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com