Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

Forbes of Kingennie...
« on: 20/10/2018 at 10:58 »
So, just back from a week staying at Forbes of Kingennie.

perfect place to take the family for a holiday if you want to grab an hour or twos fishing here and there.

4 trout lakes - all a very good size, very naturalised i.e. not a hole in the ground !

1 x bait pool
3 x fly pools
1 x course pool

Now, i am not a great fan of stocked loch fishing ....however....

Forbes of Kingennie is lovely place with really top quality fish - which fight HARD

there are a few photos...

and now for some fish photos...

by biggest fish of the week came right at the end. As i was doing C&R the photo is the fish in the net, so you cant see the scale of it.
Put it this way, i was fishing a back and green tadpole ( with a cone head) on a sinking line, on a raised casting platform.  5 cast in i get a good hit half way to the bank. All of a sudden all my moose line is gone and im getting my knuckles bashed my the reel handle as the drag squeels. After 5 mins and multiple knuckle bashing runs i had to shout accross to someone for a long handled landing net ( as i could not reach the water with my (big) scoop net. A kind angler came to my rescue....the fish was about 10lbs or so....beat my PB rainbow by about x3.  :z16

The staff at FOK were lovely, very very highly reccomended

Ashley Thomas

Re: Forbes of Kingennie...
« Reply #1 on: 22/10/2018 at 23:32 »
So, just back from a week staying at Forbes of Kingennie....

The staff at FOK were lovely, very very highly reccomended

Nice post James and some great fish there too! FOK is a stunning venue and one of the best stillwaters I've fished to date. The food in the restaurant is excellent too if you never got the chance to try it.

Ash

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 23/10/2018 at 08:43 »
They had the first purpose dug carp lake in Scotland...and then closed it :(

It was an excellent fishery with carp to 26lb and really nice to fish.

It appears some bad advice to the management team led to problems and thus the fish were moved, then moved again, and eventually removed.

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 23/10/2018 at 09:25 »
Nice post James and some great fish there too! FOK is a stunning venue and one of the best stillwaters I've fished to date. The food in the restaurant is excellent too if you never got the chance to try it.

Ash

I did eat in the restaurant, a couple of times - well the bar to be fair and the food was very good quality i.e. not really 'pub grub'

i'll definately be back !

James Laraway

« Reply #4 on: 23/10/2018 at 09:29 »
They had the first purpose dug carp lake in Scotland...and then closed it :(

It was an excellent fishery with carp to 26lb and really nice to fish.

It appears some bad advice to the management team led to problems and thus the fish were moved, then moved again, and eventually removed.

When i spoke to them about the course pool they said that is used to be the smallest pool , called the boathouse. But from what you are saying Rob they probably had one of the bigger pools first , then moved the course fish to the boathouse, and since then they have moved them to another of their ponds.

When speaking to them they said that at the moment there are only roach and perch in the course pond as they have to get a new permit from SEPA to allow them to stock with carp.

The chap i was speaking to did say that there are still carp to > 16lbs in the 'original' course ponds but you are not allowed to fish for them....

so i think in the future carp fishing will be available again  :z16

James Laraway

« Reply #5 on: 23/10/2018 at 09:30 »
the photo above the 1st rainbow picture is the new course fishing pool BTW....

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 23/10/2018 at 12:06 »
The carp pond was the a large horse shoe shaped water down the bottom. I belive they have now split it in two, a small coarse pond one side and a trout water the other.

The fish were them moved to the "square "pool, just down from the boat house pool, where they stayed for a few years. They then were  moved to the boat house.

They were then removed into a holding pond where they were "otterred".

Some survived and they are still swimming about in one of the trout ponds  :X2

here you go, the carp water was the one on the far right. https://www.google.com/maps/@56.5154174,-2.8475928,559m/data=!3m1!1e3

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com