Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Re: salmon farms
« Reply #15 on: 12/10/2018 at 12:16 »
The redacted part (which is all the really useful information we want to see) has been blocked out in accordance with central government policy on the marking of data.

However, I believe the Scottish Information Commissioner  has told the Scottish Government in the past that whilst data may be deemed commercially sensitive, the rights of the public transcend those of a private company and therefore, the information must be made available.

"The Scottish Information Commissioner has this week published a formal Decision that Scottish Ministers unlawfully tried to withhold information naming fish farms that had breached Scottish Government trigger levels for the numbers of adult female sea lice on farmed salmon."

http://www.itspublicknowledge.info/uploadedFiles/Decision142-2017.pdf

This has been reported in many sources, notably the Salmon and Trout Conservation Scotland lot.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #16 on: 12/10/2018 at 12:31 »
Makes you wonder what they don't want you to see, or maybe it should be no surprise, My job was at risk because I contacted the Newspapers over an incident when I worked in the "industry", I was asked then to sign a non disclosure document, Derek Roxborough 

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #17 on: 12/10/2018 at 15:16 »
See an article  in the Herald this morning that the amount of chemicals off the west coast is killing off the killer whales. Wonder were all the chemicals are coming from ?//
Bob .

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #18 on: 12/10/2018 at 21:06 »
Guess? Derek Roxborough

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #19 on: 13/10/2018 at 09:17 »
Exactly
Bob.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #20 on: 13/10/2018 at 12:39 »
we used to have a pod of Orcas used to see them regularly when I was lobster fishing, it's along time since any one saw them , it must be like swimming in a sewer to them , in the vicinity of a salmon farm, Derek Roxborough

Hamish Young

« Reply #21 on: 13/10/2018 at 19:40 »
There is a greater swing in the popular press and media now, more so than at any point I can recall, to see something done about the blight that is Salmon farming as we currently know it.

That's marvellous.

As an angler I have hopes that this 'popular press' for seeing something done will ensure sense will be seen, before it's too late, by those who are responsible guardians for our waters. I hope that should he wish to my son will have the opportunity to fish for wild Salmon, Sea Trout and other species in our coastal waters, rivers and lochs without the curse of poisoned waters, diseased fish and industrial waste.

The realist in me thinks it will be his fight - he's just 4.5 years old - because the generations before took too long to understand the significance of the damage being done.

Slàinte!

H

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #22 on: 13/10/2018 at 20:46 »
Programme on Tuesday with Landward about the salmon farming  industry 9.00pm BBC2, Derek Roxborough

Mike Barrio

Re: Salmon farms
« Reply #23 on: 16/10/2018 at 12:50 »

Hamish Young

« Reply #24 on: 16/10/2018 at 13:09 »
Set my TV to record it.... may even watch it 'live' but suspect a very large 'keep me calm' whisky will be required top calm my nerves. Will be very interesting to see how it goes.

H

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #25 on: 17/10/2018 at 10:47 »
Watched the program on Landward.
Was disappointed at how amateurish the anglers were compared with the professional fish farmers. We need more than some old git [he is younger than me] moaning about he and his mates could catch dozens in a day with a photo of a lot of dead fish hanging there. The public watching this must have thought the fishers killing all those fish have only there self's to blame.
The other part of me was wondering if this was the B.B.C. trying to blame the anglers.
Bob.

Graeme Stewart

« Reply #26 on: 17/10/2018 at 11:45 »
Yes.
I thought it was just my view of the programme - the fish farmers were all clued up and professional with facts and figures at their fingertips and obviously memorised.
The "anglers" and campaigners they interviewed came across as just "yer man on the street" without any structured argument  other than "it used to be better than this".
Didn't find the programme particularly balanced and, for that very reason, really have to discount any arguments presented within it.

Hamish Young

« Reply #27 on: 17/10/2018 at 17:10 »
Didn't find the programme particularly balanced and, for that very reason, really have to discount any arguments presented within it.
Whilst I concur that the programme was weighted in the favour of the more 'professional face' of fish farming I disagree that any arguments presented in it against Salmon farming should be discounted because of the way the information was portrayed.

Andrew Graham Stewart actually came over well (as did Ray Dingwall, the Ghillie on the River Ewe) and what they touched on (significantly) wasn't so much about the Salmon but the Sea Trout relationship with coastal Salmon farming. Cut to the evidence presented by Lucy Ballantyne of the Lochaber Fisheries Trust on the cycle of lice problems and you have scientific evidence - proof of the relationship between sea lice populations and wild fish.
The impact on the mature fish (Salmon, wild, returning 'home') wasn't well presented and I am surprised so little was put into talking about the way in which smolts are being decimated in some places by sea lice and undeniably by other predators that used to be more heavily controlled (goosanders, seals etc).
There was a bigger story to be told and although the programme was far from a propaganda piece for aquaculture...  it hardly told the whole story - which is a frustration.
H

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #28 on: 17/10/2018 at 19:52 »
got to agree with you Hamish, but SEPA need to get their act together as well , but the salmon farmers are now prepared for any thing that  anti's can throw at them,  Derek Roxborough

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #29 on: 18/10/2018 at 08:31 »
To my mind S.E.P.A. have plenty of money and manpower to bully the wee company but are scared to go after those that fight back.
Bob.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com