Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Findhorn finale 2018
« on: 30/09/2018 at 20:27 »
So yesterday, Saturday 29th September, was the last day of the season on the Findhorn.

Euan  :z1 was up for a late season outing and I had actually booked us on the Farrar (which I had fished earlier in the week) but a chum looks after some fishing on the Findhorn and very kindly offered me the opportunity to enjoy the last day of the season - and Euan would get to fish too. So we talked it out over a dram and the plan was set... Findhorn it would be.
Proved to be a good choice  :z16

So we went and were blessed on arrival by a howling downstream gale that continued to spread good will and cheer all day  :roll  Because of sadomasochistic tendencies /bull-headedness I opted to fish with my Mackenzie FX1 10' #7wt matched to my Barrio LA 7/8 reel and my own skagit-esque shooting head I've previously waxed lyrical about in other threads.

The beat we were on can be found on FishPal as Freeburn, it's all left bank fishing, and is a relatively unknown quantity as it's not really been let or fished much for many years. As we knew another rod was at the top of the beat, Euan and I drove down  to the bottom of the beat and walked up. Hard going, issues with my wading boots being a bit nippy made walking uncomfortable and the howling gale wasn't helping much. Anyway, we walked about half way in and made a start.
I made one quick cast to get the head out of the rod tip and the very next cast (so the first proper one) my Sunray Shadow was violently taken by a nice wee cock fish around 5.5lbs. After a strong but brief fight in streamy water (remember... rods are designed to BEND into fish) he went back - Euan had legged it down to help out but all was in hand.
After such a cracking start I thought this was going to be an epic day..... but try though we did we could not connect with another fish in that pool or others as we moved about. Now I should explain, there are one or two key pools on the beat which I imagine change very little (even in big floods) but the rest of the beat is very subject to the effect of a spate and  contains much pocket water. In other words... my bread and butter  :z18
I just love exploring wee runs, tiny pools and features where I know fish will be holding. Anyway.... we were joined by David who had been fishing up the top of the beat. He had had two fish early on, but it had gone quiet and he'd popped down for a chat.
We all worked our way upstream, we 'dropped' David at a very fishy looking run and went to the top of the beat. The wind, the high bank and the wind made covering that water effectively almost impossible.... but boy did we see some muckle fish :! Couple of fish that showed were easily in the mid to high twenties.

By now it was past lunchtime (lunch was in the car....1.5 miles away over rough ground) so we said cheerio to David (who was heading home) and started to work our way back. Long story short... we covered shit loads (and I do mean SHIT loads) of fish.
Nada. Nil.
I bypassed a lot of water and wondered down to where there was some pocket water hitherto unexplored by any of us and what do you know :? First cast my sizeable Red Francis was grabbed eagerly by a hen fish around the 8lb mark, she fought hard but my gear was up to the challenge and she was quickly subdued. Unfortunately I couldn't get to my mobile to get a shot of that one (complicated.... essentially I had left my fishing camera in the car and had to use my mobile instead) so she went back without getting her photo taken.
Two casts later.... bang... fish number three. Another hen, probably around 5lbs. But this time I had my phone ready... as I sort of had that 'fishy' feeling  :cool:
And that was it. Despite covering water really well Euan wasn't blessed with a fish, which he deserved for the effort put in. Next time chum  :z16
We retired to the car hungry, happy and looking forward to a coffee and a curry :z18

Herewith some pics of the day:

Mike Barrio

Re: Findhorn finale 2018
« Reply #1 on: 30/09/2018 at 22:39 »
Great stuff Hamish :z16

Nice photos again, looks like a fun piece of water to fish :z12

Euan Innes

« Reply #2 on: 30/09/2018 at 23:24 »
Despite not touching a fish it was a great day. The wind was shit, the cold was shit, the lack of interest by the fish was shit and the score was shit but it was a great day.
The highlight for me (no fish so different type of highlight) was how good the OPST Commando head and Vision 11'6" Tool rod was at throwing anything in any conditions. Running line management didn't seem to matter as the line just went for the horizon regardless! The secret is minimal movement to get the best out of the line and at the end of the day I was not tired so what I was aiming for was hit. After a lifetime of big arm movements and macho Spey casting this was a revelation. Highly recommended.
The fishing was hard, focused and infuriating when HUGE salmon are splashing over your line. And I mean HUGE with some specimins being well over 30"  :shock
Would I go back? Hell yes!
Well done to H for out classing me in what was clearly a home game for him. My salmon boxes need updating!
Ace day, thanks Hamish. Good call  :z16

Euan

Allan Liddle

« Reply #3 on: 10/11/2018 at 08:38 »
Fantastic stuff H and some excellent looking water

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 10/11/2018 at 18:25 »
Aye... it was a great day. There's the opportunity to fish it for Trout early season  :wink
I believe you'll maybe want to come along to that one Allan  :z17

Euan Innes

« Reply #5 on: 10/11/2018 at 23:19 »
If I am here I am IN! Lovely water for dries or streamers.

Euan

Allan Liddle

« Reply #6 on: 11/11/2018 at 10:03 »
Yup count me in too, i've heard stories about how good the upper Findhorn is for trout for a while now and it's on the list

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 11/11/2018 at 10:32 »
I smell the beginning of a plan developing  :wink

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com