Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Just sharing a photo
« on: 27/09/2018 at 11:04 »
.... not really a report as a fishing chum and I went to the Alness, caught nowt and came away again. But I was quite happy with this piccie:

It's on Beat 4 of the Novar fishings, River Alness  :z16

James Laraway

Re: Just sharing a photo
« Reply #1 on: 27/09/2018 at 13:38 »
I can trump that - i had my first trip to the Forress AA beat yestarday and caught the world's smallest grilse ( does it qualify me as a Barrio Pro-team member ? )

at least it was silver and on a single hander

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #2 on: 27/09/2018 at 20:29 »
the Alness has a reputation of producing very small grilse as small as 14oz, according to W Menzies in his book" The Salmon" he was the Inspector of Salmon fisheries through out the 30's and 40's, Derek Roxborough

James Craig

« Reply #3 on: 28/09/2018 at 07:41 »
I had my second 'two-handed' outing last Saturday - the first with the DH11 (thanks Hamish, and by extension, Sandy). I was fishing at the Mar fishings above Braemar, and what a spot that is!

I only had the morning to fish before I had 'Nul Points' and ended up with 'Nul Fish'. Nevertheless, I was getting used to a new rod, a new beat and whole different style of fishing, which was entertainment in itself!

James

James Laraway

« Reply #4 on: 28/09/2018 at 11:06 »
im not great with a double hander myself ( as i only break it out once or twice a year - which is not enough....)

A few things that work for me.

Single spey i was useless at ( as i kept 'breaking anchor' )  so i was shown the circle c ( systained anchor) - makes life MUCH easier.

I have tried all sorts of lines and a few rods.....

the easiest setup is the one i have now, that even a numpty like me can whizz a cast out.

what is it i hear you cry ?

A Shakey oracle scandi 13ft 9 with an airflo rage compact ( 600 grain)

the line is one weight heavier than 'reccomended' but it loads the rod really nicely and if you do a nice slow controlled cast it flies out !

ive had way more expensive rods, and way more expensive lines but this setup is 'the dogs'

when i was invited to go to the spey etc i would feel really nervous as i was a 'beginner' - no longer ! First trip with this setup and even the gillie seemed impressed  :z16

James Craig

« Reply #5 on: 28/09/2018 at 14:01 »
im not great with a double hander myself ( as i only break it out once or twice a year - which is not enough....)

A few things that work for me.

Single spey i was useless at ( as i kept 'breaking anchor' )  so i was shown the circle c ( systained anchor) - makes life MUCH easier.

I have tried all sorts of lines and a few rods.....

the easiest setup is the one i have now, that even a numpty like me can whizz a cast out.

what is it i hear you cry ?

A Shakey oracle scandi 13ft 9 with an airflo rage compact ( 600 grain)

the line is one weight heavier than 'reccomended' but it loads the rod really nicely and if you do a nice slow controlled cast it flies out !

ive had way more expensive rods, and way more expensive lines but this setup is 'the dogs'

when i was invited to go to the spey etc i would feel really nervous as i was a 'beginner' - no longer ! First trip with this setup and even the gillie seemed impressed  :z16

Haha, I'm a little way off impressing any ghillies! I'd like to make a proper skagit set up for next season for tubes/coneheads but I'm still at the bottom of a very steep learning curve and the OPST lines are frighteningly expensive! I do like the look of the integrated 'smooth' lines though can't find them in heavier sizes yet.

James Laraway

« Reply #6 on: 28/09/2018 at 21:33 »
Remember the guys you see casting with OSPT lines could probably cast a £10 line miles with a £50 rod.....
The compact rage is probably between a skagit and shooting head. The rage plus running line will set you back less than £50. It will fast  sinking 15ft Rio  polyleaders with big flies too- I can even cast big turbo cones... and I ain’t no expert 😉

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #7 on: 29/09/2018 at 12:27 »
I have an Airflo  40+ 5/6 that is a decent substitute for the commando casting line used on a home built 5wt(Thanks Sandy) I know people don't like this line but I have had this some 6yrs now plus 3 trips sea fishing with it  in the US and it's still useable, and does me fine, Derek Roxborough

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 30/09/2018 at 09:51 »
Haha, I'm a little way off impressing any ghillies! I'd like to make a proper skagit set up for next season for tubes/coneheads but I'm still at the bottom of a very steep learning curve and the OPST lines are frighteningly expensive! I do like the look of the integrated 'smooth' lines though can't find them in heavier sizes yet.
If you're after a Skagit for 'that rod' then drop me a line (no pun intended) I have a Rio Skagit which will do the job nicely  :wink

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com