Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Gavin Stevenson

wanted 13ft or 14ft salmon rod
« on: 27/09/2018 at 06:57 »
my hardy gem gen1 13ft salmon rod gave in yesterday after valient fight with a 20lb salmon on dee (landed succesfully!)
I had this rod for over 15 yrs and my knowledge of salmon rods is very limited as trout fishing is my main target. I would appreciate some advise on rod option for fishing Don and Dee and happy to consider used rod if any of you have something suitable

Gavin

Rob Brownfield

Re: wanted 13ft or 14ft salmon rod
« Reply #1 on: 27/09/2018 at 08:50 »
my hardy gem gen1 13ft salmon rod gave in yesterday after valient fight with a 20lb salmon on dee (landed succesfully!)
I had this rod for over 15 yrs and my knowledge of salmon rods is very limited as trout fishing is my main target. I would appreciate some advise on rod option for fishing Don and Dee and happy to consider used rod if any of you have something suitable

Gavin

Have you spoken to Hardy? If the rod was manufactured after 2002 you should get a repair or replacement section, although it will cost you £50 handling and £70 for the replacement...minimum.

I personally use a 14 foot 9 weight LTS Scandi rod that I love. I like using shooting heads, so it suits me perfectly. In the summer months I can fish something like an AFS line with a long fine tip and small flies and in heavy spring water, a Skagit or sinking shooting head and heavy tubes.

The LTS boys fish the Dee a lot and sometimes have open days to try their rods (you missed one a month ago). Worth trying. the rods are very nice.

Of course, others will have different opinions and Scandi rods may not suit everyone. I have found them to be very versatile though, and that's something that's important when swapping between rivers. Also easy to cast decent distances and much more relaxed and easy to fish.

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 27/09/2018 at 10:57 »
Lots of choice out there Gavin, some belting rods about.
Might be simpler to suggest what you have in mind for budget.... for example I could offer to sell you a Mackenzie FX1 14' #9wt for ... well, a lot..... or I might say look at the clearance on the current Orvis Clearwater rods (I've just tried the replacement - damn good) or go buy a Greys G50 and so on.
Comes down to spend, but you could (if you have the time) get yourself down to the GAC Open Weekend (this Firday/Sat/Sun ) and negotiate/grab a bargain :!

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #3 on: 20/11/2019 at 06:48 »
Hardy should be able to send you a replacement section as if it's the same era as mine (which I think it is) then they had lifetime warranty.

I should know as my 15' Gem has been broken 4 times now. Its a lovely thing to cast with but to say that it is fragile is somewhat of an understatement. Three of the four times it was broken it was during casting (once three inches above the Cork.

Granted 50% of the breakages occurred whilst in my father's hands which is probably understandable for anyone who has seen his somewhat aggircultural/brute force and ignorance spey casting technique 😂

He declared he would never cast it again and both Hardy and I were quite happy with that suggestion 😂

Regards,

Steven.

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 20/11/2019 at 08:29 »
"It's the same rod I've had for ten years" said Steven..... adding that it's had four new butt sections, one tip, two second sections and one third section...... but it's the same rod  :z7

Thank you Triggers Broom  :z18

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: 21/11/2019 at 09:20 »
"It's the same rod I've had for ten years" said Steven..... adding that it's had four new butt sections, one tip, two second sections and one third section...... but it's the same rod  :z7

Thank you Triggers Broom  :z18

Hahahaha you're bang on 👍

It has been retired for over 5 years now or that 4 breakages would likely have been near double that 😂 I hasten to add that all of the breakages have been whilst casting not through cars doors etc. It really is just brittle as hell. Dad honestly can't cast it without breaking the bloody thing 🙈

:z18

Steven

Euan Innes

« Reply #6 on: 21/11/2019 at 11:18 »
I seem to recall a day on the Dee a very long time ago that I broke three Hardy demo rods in around an hour and a half trying to put out 40 yards of Masterline DT10 salmon floater, something that my Clan 15 footer did without hesitation. Hardy were at a loss, literally and metaphorically.  :z4 :z4 :z4

Euan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com