Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

Trip to a new loch
« on: 16/09/2018 at 09:04 »
Got a green card yestarday to go trout fishing for the afternoon, so thought i would head off to Loch Tarff at Fort Augustas, which is normally pretty good and has some lovely wild brownies.

however...i flogged the water for about 2 hours and didnt see a fish. Was gutted as it takes about an hour to get there...

So i thought - i give up, but there is a loch nearby set in a deep valley that i have always liked the look of. So i'll give it a go.

Headed down to the loch, and it has a lovely big burn flowing into it - about 6 ft accross in bits.

so i had a cast in the burn and got one on my first cast - a really dark coloured brownie.

things were looking up.

So i waded into the loch at where the burn flows in and had a cast.

Almost immediately i was in !  And so it continued. It was rare that a cast did not get a pluck at the line - often as soon as my flies landed. Sometime a rise to the dropper and tail at the same time !

I dont know who many i got in the hour and a half i fished for. Upwards of 30 i reccon and missed probably hundreds of takes ! Got about 4 'double headers'

Best went about 3/4 lbs.

what an amazing afternoon - i'll be back next season when the weather is better - goodness knows what the fishing will be like when the weather is better ?!?!?! The mind boggles

Sure a lot of the fish were wee, but when your hauling them in who cares ? Plus there is a sprinking of better fish too.

Terryll Monroe

Re: Trip to a new loch
« Reply #1 on: 17/09/2018 at 03:44 »
Great story!  Sometimes it pays to venture off into new waters.

Andy Finlay

« Reply #2 on: 18/09/2018 at 13:00 »
James, how long a drive from Inverness would it be? I used to go to Lochingdorb when on the way to / from Inverness but have now given up as its been decimated over the last few years.

Looking for other options for when I'm up and sounds like an option, did go to Killin once and I'm guessing its somewhere near by.

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 18/09/2018 at 15:39 »
For me ( I'm in Culloden Moor) it takes about 45 - 50 mins i reccon.

so its past whitebridge and and Killin..

« Reply #4 on: 19/09/2018 at 12:57 »
Sounds like a great find.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com