Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Kerry Jordan

Wading boots
« on: 02/09/2018 at 18:12 »
I would be interested in views on the best wading boots for seventy to ninety days a year wading; felt soles excluded on biosecurity grounds.
I’m thinking Vibram Soles with studs or metal plates; better to buy expensive for a longer life or go cheap and chuck out after a season?
And what experience do forum members have on Boa  steel laces?

Hamish Young

Re: Wading boots
« Reply #1 on: 03/09/2018 at 07:46 »
I don't have any experience of the Boa steel laces, none of my wading boots have them and I have avoided them to be honest.

There are two pairs of wading boots in my current (see what I did there :?) armoury, both Orvis, with a third pair of Orvis boots about to be binned after 15 years.

My 'seasoned' favourites are a pair of Orvis River Guard Ultralight wading boot with Vibram EcoTraX soles - added to these are a full set of Orvis Posigrip tungsten-carbide tipped screw-in studs.  I'm not sure exactly how old these boots are, possibly ten years ??? They've done bloody well and I'd pay good money to find another pair.

A recent acquisition has been a pair of new Orvis Access wading boots, these have an excellent Vibram and again I have fitted the Posigrip screw-in studs as invariably the rivers I fish feature 'challenging' wading. I have to say that although a wee bit nippy for my feet (being a US 14 and not the US 15 I really need - they'll stretch a bit) these are super comfy boots offering good ankle support and a nice cushioned insole, I have found them to be an excellent addition to my gear.

In my experience, better to buy quality rather than cheap and chuck.

H

James Laraway

« Reply #2 on: 03/09/2018 at 12:57 »
I bought some Simms headwater boots and they are bomb proof. Boa laces are just something else to go wrong in my view. Also anything that says ‘light’ aka flimsy and poor quality

Jeff Donovan

« Reply #3 on: 03/09/2018 at 23:16 »
Had my Korker Guide wading boots with the Boa lacing system & interchangeable style soles (studded felt & rubber) 5 years in & as tough as "old boots"....(apologies but pun intended  :lol )

Terryll Monroe

« Reply #4 on: 05/09/2018 at 19:06 »
Hello Kerry.   I use Orvis Clearwater wading boots.  They are not that expensive, and have vibram soles.  I bought them this year and have worn them twice a week so far since the beginning of July and they have held up fantastic.  And to let you know,  I live in Colorado,  and our rocky freestone rivers and streams will tear a pair of boots up very quickly,  but these boots so far have been a sheer pleasure.

I have given up on Simms.  I have had boots and waders give out within the end of summer because of the abuse they take from our terrain and myself.  But Orvis so far is surprising me with these boots.  They are light weight, and not meant to take on the torture I give them.  But like I said,  they are  holding up very well.
https://www.orvis.com/p/clearwater-wading-boot-rubber/2FBN?item_code=2FBN2110&adv=127748&cm_mmc=plas-_-FlyFishing-_-2FBN-_-127748&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8f_nzLak3QIVBbnACh25fA4nEAQYAiABEgLVpPD_BwE

As for studs,  aluminum studs grab better than carbide, but they don't last as long.  And carbide may last longer, but don't grab as well as aluminum,  so you're danged if you do and darned if you don't...........until now.
There is something new on the market,  and I bought myself a set.  I absolutely love these and recommend them to anyone. They are called Rock Treads.  Big beefy aluminum disks for vibram and felt sole boots.  Just make sure you get the ones for vibram and not felt.
https://www.rocktreads.com/

I hope this helps you out on you're decision of what to get.

Also,  I totally agree with the others about the Boa laces.  Don't waste your time on those.  They are just something fancy that when it goes wrong,  you're in a bad spot unless you have the replacement kit.

Kerry Jordan

« Reply #5 on: 05/09/2018 at 20:30 »
Thanks  Terrell
Food for thought - particularly your  experiences with Simms.
Rocktreads seem worth a look but no distributors in UK or Europe that I can find. Might be doing a trip to  Yellowstone /Henry’s Fork next year so could get the chance to have a look then   

Terryll Monroe

« Reply #6 on: 06/09/2018 at 00:23 »
Thanks  Terrell
Food for thought - particularly your  experiences with Simms.
Rocktreads seem worth a look but no distributors in UK or Europe that I can find. Might be doing a trip to  Yellowstone /Henry’s Fork next year so could get the chance to have a look then

There's a store called Scheel's here in the States that sells the Rock Treads. The closest store to Yellowstone is in Billings Mont., so you may want to order from them and pay a lot of shipping if they will even mail them across the pond,  or visit Billings while you're in YNP.  If you come through Colorado,  there is a Scheels right off I-25 just East of Loveland on Highway 34.  That's where I got mine.

By the way,  I don't mean to give Simms a bad review.  They do stand behind their products, I will say that.  Many people here either buy Simms,  Orvis,  or Patagonia.  You can find Simms products in every fly shop in America,  and that's probably why they are so popular.  Since Orvis is it's own,  not all shops carry the Orvis brand,  and if they do they are limited on what they carry.  Though going to an actual Orvis store,  or ordering from them,  you'll see their many products they have.  But I will tell you this about Orvis,  their customer service has no equal.......period.  I have known people to break a fly rod, take it into an Orvis store and walk out of the store with a brand new rod,  no questions asked.  You can't beat that type of service anywhere.  Too bad I'm a Scott and Thomas & Thomas fly rod fan, ha ha.  But Orvis rods are also hard to beat these days.

Kerry Jordan

« Reply #7 on: 06/09/2018 at 22:23 »
Hi Terryll; apologies for the misspelling of your name. Blame your countrymen at Apple HQ in Cupertino for correcting me!
Will probably go through (thru 😎) Billings next autumn (sorry, fall🤓) next year and look then.

Donald MacLeod

« Reply #8 on: 12/09/2018 at 05:31 »
I nought a pair of Korkers a few years ago. The sole is superb for wading on slippy rocks but I NEVER go out without a wading stick and an inflatable collar these days, as I am nearly 70 years old.

I find getting into my Korkers difficult because thanks to an old rugby injury my left knee does not bend fully. To my mind too their structure is too flimsy - I find they bend and fold when I am trying to get my foot into them. Usually the struggle is quite wearing although lots of talcum powder helps.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 12/09/2018 at 09:33 »
I have the Orvis "korkers" boot that they did a while back. Trouble was, they used a slightly different fixing system for the soles and Korkers stopped producing them, so I could not buy the felt version at a later date. This means I have only ever had the rubber and stud version.

Those boots now need replacing, with big splits in the rubber rand that goes around them, but I am loth to change as they have been so good.

I did have some Scierra boots a long time ago which were spot on. They had a felt sole, but it was built around a wire "mesh". The wire gripped slimy rocks and the felt anything else. If I could find boots with the same sole I would buy in a heartbeat. Onlt trouble was, they would cut your hands if you were not careful or just picked them up without thinking. Also wore away the rubber fixings on the pedals of my old Landy lol. Super grippy!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com