Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

monsterfish

" 'bow fishing "
« on: 29/12/2007 at 21:21 »
I thought I should start a good debate where all forum members would get involved.

For or Against the stocking of rainbow trout in Scotland.  I see less pro's than con's here, unfortunately. I would like to hear your thoughts.  I like to think of it as "lazy" fishing.  Sorry if this offends anyone.

Look forward to any replies. 

By the way, I do not want to be "slagged" off for this post.

goosander

Re: " 'bow fishing "
« Reply #1 on: 29/12/2007 at 21:40 »
Good question.
A loch [86 acres] i fish is stocked with three browns to every bow. This helps to put the newly stocked browns down for a while and lets them get used to the water. It can be also good during July and August when the water warms up and the browns go down.
Have been given days on other fisherys [North Third./Morton./Cowans Law.] and have came away disgusted at the way "fellow fishers" have behaved. Moaning because they have not caught there limit or the fish are not big eneough etc.The litter left behind and the bad "sportmanship" is such that i will never wish to  fish these places again.
One knows that this is not the fault of the bows.
They could however come into there own in years to come?. The bows are more active at a greater range of water tempertures than the browns. So in cold water that would mean that the browns just lying there would be easier for the cormorants to get?

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 29/12/2007 at 22:24 »
Simple if you dont like it, dont do it  :wink Problem solved, end of.

I dont belive in stocking Rainbows in a Loch which has a self sustaining population of wild fish, apart from that I am all for it.

:z18

Jim

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 30/12/2007 at 06:05 »
I like to think of it as "lazy" fishing. 

Why?

:z8

Sandy

Iain Goolager

Re: " 'bow fishing " New
« Reply #4 on: 30/12/2007 at 11:33 »
Firstly I'd like to apologise to the people that I offend in this post..sorry!  Also note that I'm generalising on the whole as stocking Rainbows could mean into existing Lochs/ stillwaters or include the rise of the man made fishery.

I'd love to have lived and fished many years ago when the rivers and lochs were brimming with large wild brownies. I'm sure we've all seen photo's of catches such as those featured on the likes of the Loch Leven bothie walls, where a group of flat capped pals display a days catch which would have kept me satisfied for many seasons - or maybe even a lifetime.  Times have changed and attitudes must change accordingly. 

IMHO Rainbow Trout (Blue, Brook, Tiger, etc. included) - properly managed - do have a place in our current fishing environment. Their ancestry is impressive, they can be caught on all standard Brown Trout/ traditional methods, they fight hard, look good & most of all they rise! 

The unfortunate thing is that the advent of 'Put and Take' fishing has created a new species of angler who view fly-fishing slighly differently than 'the old sweats' who typically served an 'apprenticeship' on a river, loch or both.

I could spend all day citing tales of badly handled fish, drunkeness, litter, foul language, severe lack of ettiquete (does it not piss you off royaly when you can not cover a 180 deg. casting arc because some twat sets up camp 10' from you 'cos you've just had three fish in ten casts?) but lets concentrate on the positives.

They provide the means for a newcomer to the sport of having the real chance of catching a nice, hard fighting trout.
They allow the elderly (or young)/ disabled/ infirm, easy access to a wider range of fly-fishing venues.
They can help releave the fishing pressure on rivers and therefore natural stocks.
They increase the length of the fishing season.

I'm going to end (as I'm boring myself) by saying that I would like to see the fishing fraternity getting their heads together and promoting a change in attitude towards this fish and how we fish for it.

If I had a small 'personal' stillwater I'd stock it with 1/2lb rainbows and fish with dries and buzzers

I await your replies!?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com