Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terryll Monroe

Something a little different
« on: 16/08/2018 at 03:19 »
I got there early, and hiked in and enjoyed what nature had to show me. Autumn must be coming because the trees are getting that dull look to them and the ground foliage is already turning red in a few scattered areas.The weather was warm with a slight breeze just enough to keep you comfortable. The creek was rushing down more than I expected. We had some good rain last night, and I'm sure it contributed to such a surprise. The water level and cfs made fishing quite difficult. I didn't feel safe getting into the water and it showed no signs of letting up anywhere.

Two fish is all I was rewarded with today, each being taken on a lightly weighted pheasant tail. Neither one big enough to write home about, but I got them, and that's fine with me. The fish were holding tight to cover as not to get washed down stream, and keeping the fly in spots long enough to attract a fish was a chore in itself. Yes, a very technical day on the water, keeping the rod tip high, trying to not get any drag was almost impossible. Lost many and set the hook too soon on some to where I just plain missed them.
Here's a few pics of the area.

Cute little fellow watching me.  I think I'm the first human it has ever seen.

After awhile I trekked out of there. I can only handle feeling watched for so long, but I have to say that on this trip it wasn't that bad. I didn't come across any tracks because the water flooded the sandy banks and I can't track animals on rock. But there were signs of animals by small branches broken on the small trees and bushes along the trails made by animals. I just kept looking up in the trees and double checking before walking along side any rocky ledges.

I got back out on the Poudre and continued fishing. The water is getting low and the fish were nowhere to be found. I was perplexed by this and fished dries and wets with no results. I did tie on that lightly weighted pheasant tail just for giggles, and I did manage one, but it got off.

I will return to this area again next month when the water subsides a little and I can get into the creek. I feel safer in the water since cougars don't like water.

Thanks for looking.

Bob Mitchell

Re: Something a little different
« Reply #1 on: 16/08/2018 at 09:06 »
Looking at the lovely photos it made me realise how tame my rivers are. The only animals I see?? are canoes who always seam to be filled with pleasant people.
Bob.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #2 on: 16/08/2018 at 12:57 »
some cats will swim if it's necessary, they may not like water but they will take to it, so don't be too complacent nice pics nice river,  :z12 Derek Roxborough

Terryll Monroe

« Reply #3 on: 16/08/2018 at 16:15 »
some cats will swim if it's necessary, they may not like water but they will take to it, so don't be too complacent nice pics nice river,  :z12 Derek Roxborough

Absolutely right about some cats will swim if needed.  That's when the bear spray comes out  if needed, or the rock throwing begins.  :z4

I don't want to carry a gun for a few reasons.  The main reason is if I did have to kill an animal,  I'd have to get the DOW involved and prove to them I was being attacked if warning shots didn't work.  It's a big hassle.  Plus, a gun is just another thing I'd have to maintain.  My wife wants me to have a gun, especially in Spring & Fall because the bears are on a feeding frenzy,  and bear spray only goes so far. 

The one thing I have in my favor is my size,  and a lion may think twice,  but there's always that one lion that believe's it can take you down.  And lion's like to attack from above and behind,  so you never know there's one till it's literally on your back and shoulders.  They don't play fair.

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #4 on: 29/08/2018 at 08:53 »
Certainly makes the fishing interesting.
Bob.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com