Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Eddie Sinclair

Dreaming
« on: 12/08/2018 at 13:05 »
Sitting in Brunei dreaming of a distant (very distant) loch and tying bumbles.

Derek Roxborough

Re: Dreaming
« Reply #1 on: 12/08/2018 at 15:01 »
Nice Tying , that should keep you going for a while, :X2 Derek Roxborough

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 12/08/2018 at 15:06 »
Derek, those were done yesterday and today. I have another eighteen months to go before I retire for the second and final time so I should be in reasonable shape for flies by the time I am done. In the meantime I will be jealous of all the boys at home especially those up in your  neck of the woods.

Eddie

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 13/08/2018 at 08:07 »
Sitting in Aberdeen writing a training course for the Brunei Government wondering how I can wangle a trip out there to fish the estuary at Seria and the golf course sungais now I know a bit more about fly fishing. Those Sumatran Tiger Fish have my name all over them! lol

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #4 on: 13/08/2018 at 08:13 »
Plenty of room at the house Rob if you need free accommodation.

Eddie

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 14/08/2018 at 08:54 »
Plenty of room at the house Rob if you need free accommodation.

Eddie

If only!!! Looks like we are going to use a local photographer out there, the cost of flying me there and back for a couple of days would be way too much. Pity, not been there since 1983!!

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #6 on: 15/08/2018 at 20:02 »
Sitting in Aberdeen writing a training course for the Brunei Government wondering how I can wangle a trip out there to fish the estuary at Seria and the golf course sungais now I know a bit more about fly fishing. Those Sumatran Tiger Fish have my name all over them! lol

I think you may well be sorely disappointed Rob. Im fairly certain the river mouth you're speaking about is the one ived fished since I went there circa 2 years ago. In that time the mouth has been dammed off by Shell for some ungodly reason that nobody within Shell (that I speak with frequently) can give me any explanation as to why and the good sized baramundi that got stuck in there were netted out by a group of Indonesian lads. There are however a lot of small tarpon that would be fun on say a 2/3#. I did however catch a 3.5kg marble goby which was 😎

:z18

Steven.

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #7 on: 15/08/2018 at 20:13 »
Rob,

If I were you I would FAR prefer to go to Malaysia and stay and fish with Paul Arden.

The dude is a wizard with a fly rod (as I'm quite sure you already know) and his pricing is more than reasonable for the guiding /lessons/best fly fishing I have ever found. Both Snake head (my biggest is 8.5kg) and also very interestingly giant gurami (ikan kaloi) the biggest I had in Singapore was 4.5 kg they can be the most sedate shy reclusive creatures and then go absolutely bananas when hooked. I caught mine on a 4# and it took an easy 60 yards of line . I was only fishing 10lb line for peacock bass when the gurami hit me on the drop. I absolutely shit myself  :z4

:z18

Steven.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 16/08/2018 at 09:45 »
Changed days then!! Is the old oil platform still at the "mouth" of the river? The one you could walk along the pier and fish off of?
Mostly caught snapper and cats off it, but going down the legs onto the lower structure and fishing a deadbait often produced nice grouper. Even managed a 20lb Guitar fish off of it.

Funny you mention Gouramis. I used to catch Three Spot Gouramis, Siamese Fighters, various types of Barb and Loach, Bumblebee Gobies, Sumatran Clown Fish and various other "Aquarium" fish and sell them to a shop in Seria. Useful pocket money for a kid on his school holidays :)

Later on when I started to dive, I had a 7 foot tank in the car porch that I stocked with various marine fish, all hand caught. I would get them at the start of the 8 week holiday, and return them at the end before heading back to the UK and school. 

I miss those days lol. Whilst I had an amazing childhood out there, I do wish I was a bit older and wiser as I would have made more of my time there.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com