Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Euan Innes

Tanar 2.0
« on: 04/08/2018 at 22:21 »
Work this year has been just crazy so fishing has been far and few between, so when the opportunities arise I grab them. Today I went back to Glen Tanar, this time with my good mate Darren.
The forecast was to be overcast, warm with bouts of sunshine in the afternoon and that was exactly what it was.
I am going to say right from the start this was a proper EPIC day. The first fish was on cast number two for Daz! The Tanar fish rise freely when insects hatch and the morning proved just that. Dirty Dusters and DHEs were cast, fish were hooked, released and admired, or hooked, lost and cursed.
Here are some highlights:

Lovely big Broon

Lovely big Rainbow

And another!

The highlight for me was the rod that I gave to Sandy to have a new reel seat fitted and a 4" extension handle fitted. I wanted a "switch" rod but for a light line. My Orvis 10' #4 got converted, an OPST 200 grain Commando line fitted and bingo! Trout Spey is what the rod companies are calling it now...
I now have a light trout rod that can chuck BIG flies ( 3" tube flies FFS) a long way but for regular fish. I will say now that it is a joy! Overhead, Double Spey, roll, Snap T, C Spey, and so on with floating or sinking tips. Want to throw a tungsten bead fly a long way on a #4? This will do just that. Want to fish large sculpins on a light line? Job done! Want to fish for salmon on a small river? This is THE rod combo and I can't wait for some rain. Alness, North Esk, and the like this will be just awesome. Thanks Sandy and thanks OPST.
My new Teton reel (Ebay from Florida) was a joy too. (Teton number 4  :z16)
Glen Tanar is as good as you will get in the UK as far as wild Rainbows go. The small fish go as hard as the big ones and the Browns are sublime. Some fish go deep, some go in to orbit, some run far, far away and empty a reel in a heartbeat. And none of them come in quickly.
Forget your normal thoughts about the average Rainbow fishery because this is as wild as it gets and it just rocks! Olive hatches, sedges, buzzers, HUGE Damsel flies that want to land on your rod or line, in a wild location. Ask yourself, what do you really want in a days fishing?
Just don't go when I'm there as I do love the peace and quiet of the setting!

Euan

Hamish Young

Re: Tanar 2.0
« Reply #1 on: 04/08/2018 at 23:01 »
Clearly, a good day that you enjoyed  :z13 :z18

Euan Innes

« Reply #2 on: 04/08/2018 at 23:37 »
As my mother would say "you have no idea!!"

:z4  :z1

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 05/08/2018 at 08:04 »
I’m planning a trip there end of Aug 👍

Allan Liddle

« Reply #4 on: 08/08/2018 at 10:07 »
Looks like a grand day oot, love it when they're on the dries

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com