Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

Treating fly lines
« on: 01/08/2018 at 13:22 »
I’ll be honest in that I don’t really look after my lines. Luckily Mikes lines put up with a lot of neglect. However the time has come to look after them better. To restore the ‘zip’ or slickness of my line what do you recommend?

Jeff Donovan

Re: Treating fly lines
« Reply #1 on: 01/08/2018 at 13:48 »
Why not use the line care product Mike sells...  https://www.flylineshop.com/barrio-line-care.html

James Laraway

« Reply #2 on: 01/08/2018 at 14:06 »
Why not use the line care product Mike sells...  https://www.flylineshop.com/barrio-line-care.html

I’m assuming it’s good as mike sells it? Is it more a conditioner rather than a slickness adder
?

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 01/08/2018 at 14:23 »
Mikes out of stock !

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 01/08/2018 at 15:05 »
I’m assuming it’s good as mike sells it? Is it more a conditioner rather than a slickness adder
?

A clean line that's been conditioned will be "slippier". However, if you want real slickness, there are several options.

Snowbee Line Slick
RIO Agent X fly line dressing
Airfo Whizz Lube
Silicon car dash spray.

Jeff Donovan

« Reply #5 on: 01/08/2018 at 22:48 »
?

Sorry, I have no idea as I haven't tried it. I have a couple of Snowbee's Line Slick that I'm still using.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #6 on: 01/08/2018 at 22:58 »
being a cheapskate I bought a bottle of PVC cleaner from a pound shop, worked for me ,better than paying £3  for a very small bottle of line slick, :X2  Derek Roxborough

Jeff Donovan

« Reply #7 on: 02/08/2018 at 23:42 »
Mine from Snowbee, came free with a couple of their lines I purchased from one of the pre-season sales they have.

James Laraway

« Reply #8 on: 03/08/2018 at 09:45 »
I ended up going for the Loon Outdoors Line Up Kit, as it has cleaner and a rather nice applicatior.

i'll let you know how i get on

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #9 on: 04/08/2018 at 22:23 »
I read an article many years back , it was by a casting champ ( cant remember his name) but I do remember he recommended AutoGlym PVC Polish, but this was purely for casting distance,I have a wee bottle of Jim Teeny line stuff but I couldn't tell you whether it gives me a better cast but it always looks cleaner,
Derek Roxborough

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com