Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

Michael Round

Should I sell my Sage One 9' 6wt ?
« on: July 27, 2018, 12:58:15 PM »
Is my Sage One suitable for what I am  I'm trying to do?
My hobby is fly casting, it used to be fly fishing until I developed Essential Tremor and now I'm
unable to tie on fly's or leaders. But  I still enjoy the casting. My aim is  to cast a full line 30 yards or more.
Using a Michael Evens twin line size 7-8 I can cast 25 yards using my self taught Double Haul.
I have a GT 125 7 wt line that I'm trying at the moment. It give nice presentation but I am unable to hold enough
line in the air to get much  distance.  Would I be better selling my Sage that is very stiff and trying a more flexible rod.
Suggestions please.
Sorry about my ramblings.

Will Shaw

Re: Should I sell my Sage One 9' 6wt ?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 15:02:59 PM »
Your rod will cast a line as far as you will ever want it to go.

Different people may have different opinions on the line you use (Id put a 6wt on it), but the best thing you can do to get beyond 25yds is to get a lesson from a good qualified instructor.

This will get you on the right track, with a good ideas of the right things to practice. The next thing is to practice, a lot.

With the right support and regular practice, your aim of chucking a fly line 30yds plus should be eminently doable.

All the best.

Will

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 15:43:31 PM »
Thanks Will ...... I fully agree :z16

A 'one to one' with a good instructor will help to find the technique that suits you and then practice, practice and more practice.

Best wishes
Mike
www.flylineshop.com   At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Michael Round

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 09:01:49 AM »
Thanks guys, I've been practicing 7-8 hours a week but obviously the wrong things.
Good  casting instructors are a bit thin on the ground in the Midlands, but after much searching 
I think I've found one who's going to be in touch next week.  Thanks again. 

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 09:21:50 AM »
You are going to have this event on your doorstep in a few weeks time Michael https://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8243.0 ..... might be worth popping along to watch :wink
www.flylineshop.com   At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Michael Round

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 16:44:41 PM »
Thanks Mike,  should meet some interesting people there as well as getting idea of whats possible.

Will Shaw

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 20:41:44 PM »
Good stuff. Have you checked the AAPGAI website? I think there are a couple of good people within reach.

Cheers

Will

Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk all rights reserved

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum