Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

Hamish Young

Session reels
« on: July 08, 2018, 09:55:17 AM »
I saw this https://www.sessionflyfishing.com/session-reel/ and was intrigued.......
“When tired at last, he sat on the bank, while the river still chattered on to him, a babbling procession of the best stories in the world, sent from the heart of the earth to be told at last to the insatiable sea.”

Terry Coging

Re: Session reels
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 11:56:46 AM »
Enjoyable marketing video.  How to impart cool lifestyle into the humble reel............... Not knocked the Air one off of my birthday list though.

Kerry Jordan

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 14:19:31 PM »
“Toss it into the back of your truck”.
Yeah right......on top of  my Maui Jim sunglasses I chucked in earlier.

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 07:37:26 AM »
H,

polar opposite to the Ikea reels from Euan, I like the look of those.

Eddie :X2
As Shakespeare said, it is better to have hooked and lost than never to have hooked at all.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 08:08:54 AM »
A kickstatrter funded company.

I did some googling and it seems you can't buy the reel, you have to "pledge" to the company and once they have made a batch of reels, you get one. Currently its a $199 pledge. (Original pledge was $175)

It also says they have had difficulties with the finish resulting in a high number of defective reels :( Hope they sort that as they look a nice reel.
Ok, I admit it, I quite like this salmon fishing lark....

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 17:38:26 PM »
A kickstatrter funded company.

I did some googling and it seems you can't buy the reel, you have to "pledge" to the company and once they have made a batch of reels, you get one. Currently its a $199 pledge. (Original pledge was $175)

It also says they have had difficulties with the finish resulting in a high number of defective reels :( Hope they sort that as they look a nice reel.
Aye, I'm intrigued by their business model.... I had a distinct  :X7 moment at first. Is it a $200 reel  :z8

H,

polar opposite to the Ikea reels from Euan, I like the look of those.

Eddie :X2

I like the backplate of the session reel, but the spool is just 'same old same old'. Close but no cigar in my book.

I do not like wooden reels  :wink

H
“When tired at last, he sat on the bank, while the river still chattered on to him, a babbling procession of the best stories in the world, sent from the heart of the earth to be told at last to the insatiable sea.”

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 08:07:59 AM »
Aye, I'm intrigued by their business model.... I had a distinct  :X7 moment at first. Is it a $200 reel  :z8

I really don't know.

Seems some folk paid $500, some 199 and others 175, but no one seems to have been given a reel yet?
Ok, I admit it, I quite like this salmon fishing lark....

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 13:41:04 PM »
Seems some folk paid $500, some 199 and others 175, but no one seems to have been given a reel yet?
Sounds more like receiving monies by deception or fraud....  the perpetrators win the confidence of the victim (shiny website, promise of exclusivity, kickstarter etc) and obtain money by 'selling' a product to the 'victim' that they will never receive  :z8 I said I was intrigued  :z13

It's probably just teething problems, but I will be watching with interest  :shock

H

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 17:10:15 PM »
I will stick with my LC80 for the time being, I like the art work but fine art work maketh not a reel , :z8 Derek Roxborough

Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

© Copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk all rights reserved

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum