Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Time to hang up the rods??
« on: 10/07/2018 at 16:50 »
There has been some discussion on several forums/facebook about the current conditions we are experiencing, and more so, the water temperature versus dissolved oxygen.

The government has a very interesting paper on  "The thermal biology of Brown Trout and Atlantic Salmon" (link below).

It states that the 19.5 degrees C is the upper limit for trout growth. Above this and brown trout are stressed. Its 22.5 degrees C for Salmon. I recorded 21.8 degrees C on Sunday in around 2 feet of running water.

It is well worth reading the paper, it will only take a few minutes. I wonder if it is time to give them a rest for their own wellbeing?

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/291742/scho1008boue-e-e.pdf

Hamish Young

Re: Time to hang up the rods??
« Reply #1 on: 10/07/2018 at 17:37 »
This wee break in the weather we are experiencing (up here near Inverness at least) will help.
Certainly I wasn't up for fishing for silver tourists in the hot weather last week: https://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8275.0 I would have fished for stockies or brownies on a 'catch and kill' basis only last week.

H

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 11/07/2018 at 09:20 »
This wee break in the weather we are experiencing (up here near Inverness at least) will help.
Certainly I wasn't up for fishing for silver tourists in the hot weather last week: https://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8275.0 I would have fished for stockies or brownies on a 'catch and kill' basis only last week.

H

We have had "rain", but no more than a wetting of the roads. Serious issues regarding our spring starting to dry up. No showers or clean clothes for us!!

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #3 on: 11/07/2018 at 10:21 »
serious rain yesterday from Dingwall west and all night , so don't put the rod away yet :z18 Derek Roxborough

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 11/07/2018 at 12:32 »
serious rain yesterday from Dingwall west and all night , so don't put the rod away yet :z18 Derek Roxborough

No rainfall showing on the weather radars for these parts for the next 2 weeks.

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 11/07/2018 at 15:43 »
We have had "rain", but no more than a wetting of the roads. Serious issues regarding our spring starting to dry up. No showers or clean clothes for us!!
I'm going to look in our well this evening (also a private supply) as I'm more than a wee bit concerned...... just as well I have a bottle of interesting whisky to consume after I've had a look......

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #6 on: 11/07/2018 at 17:01 »
the wee burn past the house was running this morning first time for weeks, Derek Roxborough

Terry Coging

« Reply #7 on: 11/07/2018 at 20:02 »
Lucky me. The club have a 20 acre trout lake and a 20 acre coarse lake along side each other.  I opted for the coarse lake today and had some quality roach on sweetcorn. More importantly I was out on a lovely lake in a sheltered spot watching the herons and other birds going about their business  :wink

« Reply #8 on: 12/07/2018 at 12:31 »
How do you think Lochs at altitude will be fairing? thinking of ~>800m

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 12/07/2018 at 15:05 »
How do you think Lochs at altitude will be fairing? thinking of ~>800m

A work colleague was up the summit of Mount Keen on Saturday and recorded 25 degrees! That's 939n high. Its been hot all over but I suspect the deeper water alone on most of the high lochs will have a cooling effect.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com