Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

A wading boot dilemma.....
« on: 06/07/2018 at 21:32 »
So here's the thing.... I have size 13 and a bit feet. My foot size always amused my Dad who once quipped:
"Boy, if your feet get any bigger your next pair of rugby boots will be Clyde built with navigation lights fitted"  :z13

Depending on whose 'sizing' chart you use, my standard foot size is a Euro 48.  Now these days that's not an issue for most normal footwear but this has just become a problem for wading boots  :shock
My Dads quip was funny 30 years ago (still is) but although my feet are no bigger now than  they were 25 years ago I'm struggling (initially at least) to come up with options.
Until now my wading boots have always come from Orvis as they were the 'go to' guys for US size 15 wading boots. Unfortunately, without me noticing, they no longer manufacture bigger than a US 14 and that's just too damn nippy  :'(

So where do I go next to find the boots I need :? I normally have a spare pair, but they recently had a disagreement with the mud at Loch Shin (long story) and are about to be ceremonially binned retired after a decade of hard use . My 'go to' Orvis boots are now something like 7 seasons old and although still in good order they're getting old and I expect to have problems with them soon.

Anyone got any insight on where to look/brands etc  :?

Jim Eddie

Re: A wading boot dilemma.....
« Reply #1 on: 06/07/2018 at 21:41 »
You have a good grip on Scotland Hamish  :z4

There are size 15 Korkers on e bay, not cheap though

:z18

Jim

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 07/07/2018 at 08:23 »
You have a good grip on Scotland Hamish  :z4

Now that's funny  :z4 :z18

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 08/07/2018 at 08:49 »
I decided that after  years of scrimping on wading boots I would splash out and got some Simms Headwater boots. Spending more on wading boots than I ever had on shoes hurt .....however....what a difference compared to the usual crap that are the normal run of the mill wading boots!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 09/07/2018 at 08:01 »
Have you tried Andrew wading boots from Italy? Very niche boot and shoe maker..but they are just that, shoemakers. I believe they can make any size you want but have in stock wading boots up to EU47.

They are apparently "cut big" as they have taken into account the wading sock and a normal woollen sock when sizing.

https://www.1000flies.com/Wading-boots-shoes

Here is their manufacturing website although for some reason Wading boots are not listed. I think it is because the wading boot is a collaboration and not their normal range.
 http://www.andrewshoes.com/prodotti/en/

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com