Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terry Coging

South Uist?
« on: 03/07/2018 at 13:13 »
There are mutterings in our club about a trip to Uist next year - or even later this year.
It won't be an alternative to the Assynt trip, which is set in stone. Any tips greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance..

Re: South Uist?
« Reply #1 on: 04/07/2018 at 12:44 »
Nunton House Hostel  on Benbecula offers excellent accomodation and Donald is a great source of uptodate info on fishing
http://www.nuntonhousehostel.com/

Allan Liddle

« Reply #2 on: 09/07/2018 at 11:55 »
Heading over there soon, really looking forward to it and hope the weather is kind

Terry Coging

« Reply #3 on: 10/07/2018 at 07:24 »
Heading over there soon, really looking forward to it and hope the weather is kind

Be interested to hear how you get on Allan.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #4 on: 06/08/2018 at 09:39 »
It was a blast and with the weather being pretty mixed and generally shitty I can confirm you can catch plenty fish (and Rod Benders at that) on dries in gales  :wink

Plenty resident troots on a host of waters both Machair and peaty hill loch yins and although there wasn't much in the way of surface flies these fish were keen on static dries, excellent fishing.
Sea troots and salmon also keen on the Hogs (short line stuff) meaning you were never sure exactly what you might get.

Great place and well worth a visit, it's under my skin already so i'll be back over again soon and feel another annual trip destination to add to my diary :)

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: 06/08/2018 at 10:18 »
Great stuff,

Looks like you had fun.

Eddie

Iain Cameron

« Reply #6 on: 06/08/2018 at 10:33 »
brilliant - let's go next year! I
Being on the Uists for me re-defined what "a wee bit windy" meant... 20mph was just a gentle tickle of wind... :-)

Euan Innes

« Reply #7 on: 06/08/2018 at 11:08 »
I recall that wind all too well Iain!
And I also remember the troots!  :z14 :z16

Euan

Allan Liddle

« Reply #8 on: 06/08/2018 at 13:18 »
Cheers guys, yup I had 30 to 50 mph winds when over there, didn't spoil the fishing one wee bit merely meant I had to adapt a little.
In fact the only real problem I had was the fact I had too much water to look at  :shock

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com