Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Jarvie

Recommended Barrio lines for:
« on: 27/06/2018 at 12:33 »
Hi guys
New to this forum so here goes. I am planning buying the Shakespere Oracle Skagit rod #9 and wonder which Barrio line would suit?

Mike Barrio

Re: Recommended Barrio lines for:
« Reply #1 on: 27/06/2018 at 16:38 »
Hi James ....... welcome to the forum :z16

I would suggest the ISS Spey line in either 8/9 or 9/10.

If you will be fishing with mainly lighter gear I would choose the 8/9, if you are more likely to be fishing heavier gear like tube flies and fast sinking tips then the 9/10 might be a better choice.

I hope that helps.
Best wishes
Mike

James Jarvie

« Reply #2 on: 22/08/2018 at 11:50 »
Thanks for the reply and advice Mike. I didn't buy that rod but I am now looking at the Oracle Switch  8/9 which Shakespere say should be matched with 386 grain 25 grm Spey line or 417 grain 27grm Shooting Head. This all seems so confusing to a near novice. Any ideas from your range?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 22/08/2018 at 12:23 »
Thanks for the reply and advice Mike. I didn't buy that rod but I am now looking at the Oracle Switch  8/9 which Shakespere say should be matched with 386 grain 25 grm Spey line or 417 grain 27grm Shooting Head. This all seems so confusing to a near novice. Any ideas from your range?

It is all very confusing and it is to do with the shape of the D loop in the cast, the energy the line has and how big that loop is.

In extremely simple terms, the longer the belly, the bigger the D and therefore the lighter it needs to be.

For a more in depth account, this is worth reading:  https://mcxfisher.blogspot.com/2013/04/half-sysytem-thinking-about-lines.html

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 22/08/2018 at 12:46 »
Hi James,

The Oracle Switch 8/9 likes our Switch 7/8 line  :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com