Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

Fishing around melrose...Scottish borders
« on: 25/06/2018 at 17:29 »
Hello all

i will be down in the borders for a weeks holiday in July and am within 5 mins drive of the tweed.

im not planning on salmon fishing but was thinking about a cast of trout and grayling

has anyone got any thoughts as to beats ?

regards
James

Derek Roxborough

Re: Fishing around melrose...Scottish borders
« Reply #1 on: 25/06/2018 at 20:13 »
Hawick Angling club have a place next to the post office, there  are few lochs there, plenty tributaries with  f ishing, top Grayling at the Till  but the Orvis shop at Kelso keeps a board of recent catches,  good luck Derek Roxborough

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 26/06/2018 at 10:56 »
Will follow this with interest. Sister has just moved to Jedburgh and my mother has bought a plot of land in Kelso and is just waiting for house plans to be finalised.

Long weekends sorted for accommodation :)

Good roach fishing apparently :) :) :)

Duncan Inglis

« Reply #3 on: 28/06/2018 at 09:29 »
Really depends what part of the Borders your staying in, Peebles Angling Ass ticket is readily available and has map etc, normally really good fishing, similar ticket available for the Melrose area from the local Spar and again for the St Boswell area from the Border Gun Room. All provide good fishing, you just need to explore.

James Laraway

« Reply #4 on: 19/07/2018 at 09:03 »
Really depends what part of the Borders your staying in, Peebles Angling Ass ticket is readily available and has map etc, normally really good fishing, similar ticket available for the Melrose area from the local Spar and again for the St Boswell area from the Border Gun Room. All provide good fishing, you just need to explore.

Hi Duncan,
Im actually staying in gattonside, so almost in melrose - so im really bang in the centre. As i have family with me i'll manage to get out for a few hours at a time . As we dont have grayling this far north ( inverness) im looking to try an catch one - not a big one - even a tiddler will do :-).
any hints you can give would be very much appreciated.
Im guessing weighted nymphs to get 'down and dirty' ?
regards
James

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 19/07/2018 at 14:48 »
Hi Duncan,
Im actually staying in gattonside, so almost in melrose - so im really bang in the centre. As i have family with me i'll manage to get out for a few hours at a time . As we dont have grayling this far north ( inverness) im looking to try an catch one - not a big one - even a tiddler will do :-).
any hints you can give would be very much appreciated.
Im guessing weighted nymphs to get 'down and dirty' ?
regards
James

Watch the season for Grayling on the Tweed if you are thinking of some winter fishing as well later in the year. Ends the 30th of September and starts again the 1st of January.

However, a chap I talk to a lot on Facebook fishes the tweed almost daily (retired) and he is getting lots of nice Grayling on the dry fly, with a Griffiths Gnat doing well. Very free rising just now.

James Laraway

« Reply #6 on: 19/07/2018 at 15:18 »
Watch the season for Grayling on the Tweed if you are thinking of some winter fishing as well later in the year. Ends the 30th of September and starts again the 1st of January.

However, a chap I talk to a lot on Facebook fishes the tweed almost daily (retired) and he is getting lots of nice Grayling on the dry fly, with a Griffiths Gnat doing well. Very free rising just now.

in theory im trout fishing, i'll just happen to be using flies and tactics that i hope appeal to grayling... :X2

Duncan Inglis

« Reply #7 on: 19/07/2018 at 21:56 »
I’ve found fishing the area from the Melrose side just downstream of the salmon hut has been good over the years, both for grayling, fishing heavy nymphs upstream below a wool indicator, or dries for the trout and grayling. Ideal from Gattonside as you can park at the footbridge which gives access to both sides. The area just below the cauld is also good. On the hut side further downstream there is a bend that again can be good. The guy in the shop in Gala is worth speaking to as well.

James Laraway

« Reply #8 on: 20/07/2018 at 09:36 »
so, i found some future fly tungsten weights that i bought ages ago for tying salmon flies with, but never used. Figure they looked like 'shrimp backs' so gave it a go...

Not sure i shoudl even show an extreme closeup of my fly tying  :X2

Duncan Inglis

« Reply #9 on: 20/07/2018 at 23:21 »

This is the bug I’ve had most success with, tungsten bead. Either this or a PT nymph again with a tungsten bead at the thorax. Fish it on the point with a small lightly dressed spider fished 12” to 18” above it

James Laraway

« Reply #10 on: 08/08/2018 at 10:33 »
I’ll do a report at the end of the week but I splashed out on a season ticket for Melrose, for the sun in £12 ! It’s basically the lower pavilion beat if the tweed😊. No Grayling yet but only been out once so far...

James Laraway

« Reply #11 on: 13/08/2018 at 09:34 »
Well, thats me back from my trip to the borders. Sadly i failed miserably to catch a grayling but i did have a lovely time.

Firstly if you want to fish the melrose association water you cant get the permits from the Spar shop as it no longer exists - however it is now a Premier convenience store and they still sell permits. The beat is basically the lower pavillion beat

For a day it is £4, or £12 for a season - which is amazing. It turns out that most of the tweed seems to offer trout and grayling fishing for a max of £30 a season ! ( even the junction at kelso !). Perhaps other rivers such as the Dee could take a leaf out of the Tweeds book....

So the water was really low ( i waded accross and didnt go above my knees !) but that is not a huge issue. I fished for 3 short evening sessions and never saw a salmon jump which was a shame.

Once dark approached there were massive fly hatches but very little coming to them - other than parr so most of the fish i got were on bead head nymphs in a variety of shapes and sizes.

The best one i got was only about 3/4 lb but honestly, i thought i had hooked a sea trout. It went bananas - spending more time in the air than in the water,

here are a few pictures to whet your appetite

If i go there again I'll try the St Boswells water, as they have about 8 miles ( for £30 a year). You get the permits from the Borders Gun room in St Boswells ( which is WELL worth a visit). Looks tiny from the outside but its HUGE and the staff are lovely)

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #12 on: 13/08/2018 at 10:51 »
Looks fantastic. And no one else fishing.

Must have been great just exploring new water.

Eddie

Duncan Inglis

« Reply #13 on: 13/08/2018 at 21:07 »
When I was there at the end of June/beginning of July the water was like bath water, temp approx 67f, way too hot for trout and there was little fly life on the go.
Hopefully better next visit.

James Laraway

« Reply #14 on: 14/08/2018 at 09:27 »
When I was there at the end of June/beginning of July the water was like bath water, temp approx 67f, way too hot for trout and there was little fly life on the go.
Hopefully better next visit.

there was no shortage of fly life this time, from about 8pm onwards....

shame the trout werent too bothered

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com