Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Re: 9'6" 4wt for stillwater fishing?
« Reply #15 on: 02/07/2018 at 08:31 »
Richard Walker. Now that's another blast from the past!

I'm amazed that anybody could find anything in that shop through the clouds of smoke  :z4 I recall being in their when I was single digits with Dad and his trusty pipe bellowing reek everywhere   :z3

I'm almost certain that it was through Richard that Dad was introduced to Peregrine's, as Dad tied flies for the shop for years.

:z18

Steven.

I can't remember Richard smoking...am I losing it?..lol

I wonder if he is still living out in Inch?

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #16 on: 09/07/2018 at 08:35 »
Rob,

the pipe was mine, and yes Richard gave me his first Peregrine in the shop to try, it was the Blue 9ft 3" 6 weight and it was and suppose still is a lovely thing to fish with, it is in my garage along with 2 x 9ft 9 4 weights an 8ft 6 4 weight a 9ft 5 weight a 10ft 6 6/7 weight a 9ft 8 weight and the 15ft 10/11 weight.

One of :z18 these days I need to dig through all the old stuff in the garage and take it out for a play.

I really liked the original Peregrine rods, I spoke to Roger from Peregrine recently, he will still repair the old fly rods but is not interested in manufacturing anymore as he stated that the market and margins in carp rods are a more viable business model down his way.

Eddie

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #17 on: 09/07/2018 at 11:46 »
I really liked the original Peregrine rods, I spoke to Roger from Peregrine recently, he will still repair the old fly rods but is not interested in manufacturing anymore as he stated that the market and margins in carp rods are a more viable business model down his way.

I would agree with him there. I can build a carp rod far quicker than a fly rod, charge less and make more. The fact that most commissions are 2 or 3 rods at a time means a bit more profit.

Hamish Young

« Reply #18 on: 09/07/2018 at 17:34 »
..... and the 15ft 10/11 weight.

One of :z18 these days I need to dig through all the old stuff in the garage and take it out for a play.
You absolutely do  :z16 I remember those rods and unless my memory is playing games with me that 15' was more than a match for anything on the market when it was released. Unfortunately, they never sold in big numbers  :z10

H

Euan Innes

« Reply #19 on: 09/07/2018 at 18:45 »
Rob,

the pipe was mine, and yes Richard gave me his first Peregrine in the shop to try, it was the Blue 9ft 3" 6 weight and it was and suppose still is a lovely thing to fish with, it is in my garage along with 2 x 9ft 9 4 weights an 8ft 6 4 weight a 9ft 5 weight a 10ft 6 6/7 weight a 9ft 8 weight and the 15ft 10/11 weight.

Eddie

I am pretty sure that I must have met you in that shop at some point Eddie. When I worked in Nelson Street I was always in for coffee at Richards shop. I never did get a Peregrine but he did get me in to Loomis so not all bad!
If you want to sell any of them I could be interested :wink
A man ahead of his time  :z14

Euan

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #20 on: 09/07/2018 at 23:44 »
You absolutely do  :z16 I remember those rods and unless my memory is playing games with me that 15' was more than a match for anything on the market when it was released. Unfortunately, they never sold in big numbers  :z10

H

I was saying to Dad not all that long ago that we really need to get "the beast" out of retirement and have a throw with some modern lines on it. I think it's the only dh that he hasn't managed to break during casting 😂. I've got three days on the Dee in August I need to get my hands on the Gael force extended spey I think it would be a scary combination.

Cheers,

Steven.

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #21 on: 10/07/2018 at 01:28 »
I am pretty sure that I must have met you in that shop at some point Eddie. When I worked in Nelson Street I was always in for coffee at Richards shop. I never did get a Peregrine but he did get me in to Loomis so not all bad!
If you want to sell any of them I could be interested :wink
A man ahead of his time  :z14

Euan

Euan, I could maybe be persuaded to part with the 8' 6" 4# but i'll be taking the 9' 9'' 4# to my grave  :cool:

Steven.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #22 on: 10/07/2018 at 08:10 »
but he did get me in to Loomis so not all bad!

He got me into Norborons as I could not afford the Loomis. Having said that, he did lend me a few to "convert" me lol. The 10 foot 7 weight IMX was awesome.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #23 on: 10/07/2018 at 08:15 »

The 15 foot LOHRIC is an update to that rod. There are several models now, 12 8/9, 13 8/9, 14 9/10, 15 10/11 and 16 10/11

The original is also still available and is sold as a "classic spey" and the" HP spey". Both are 10/11 and 15 foot.  The LOHRICS are sold as "Fast and light modern design".

Euan Innes

« Reply #24 on: 10/07/2018 at 13:13 »
Euan, I could maybe be persuaded to part with the 8' 6" 4# but i'll be taking the 9' 9'' 4# to my grave  :cool:

Steven.

Steven,
I have more #4 than i know what to do with but the 10'6" #6 sounds interesting... :z4

Euan

Hamish Young

« Reply #25 on: 10/07/2018 at 13:27 »
...... I've got three days on the Dee in August I need to get my hands on the Gael force extended spey I think it would be a scary combination.

Cheers,

Steven.
Depending on when you're coming North to pick up some 'goodies' from me, I might have a line you'd like to try on that rod  :wink

H

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com