Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Bryan Redd

9'6" 4wt for stillwater fishing?
« on: 21/06/2018 at 04:00 »
I'm on the hunt for a 9'6" 4wt for stillwater fishing.  I have a 10' 6wt Thomas & Thomas Avantt with a downlocking reel seat that I use and really like, but I'm looking for a lighter weight companion.  Apparently, it is an odd configuration, at least here in the States.   I've checked all the major brands and none offer it.  There are multiple options in a 10' 4wt, but I want it shorter for this rod.  Possibly would do a 9'3'' but thinking I'd prefer a 9'6".

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Cheers,

Bryan
Portland, Oregon

Rob Brownfield

Re: 9'6" 4wt for stillwater fishing?
« Reply #1 on: 22/06/2018 at 08:16 »
Sage do/did one. The Sage One #496-4. Not made anymore but I did find this advert for a custom built one, may be of use.

https://www.coastalcreekoutfitters.com/products/sage-one-custom-96-4-weight-new-fly-rod-built-just-for-you-496-4-beautiful-1

Good luck!

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #2 on: 22/06/2018 at 08:40 »
 wouldn't a 9ft do the same job? I use a 4wt a lot of the time( when I'm not using my 5wt(helps in the wind)I didn't find the 6in made that much difference, a9ft with the right line will give you what you want, :z12
Derek Roxborough

Bryan Redd

« Reply #3 on: 22/06/2018 at 15:22 »
Rob,:  Thank you for the link to the custom build option.  I never owned a Sage One, but have fished it a couple of times.  That is certainly an option.

Derek:  Much of my stillwater fishing is from my inflatable "kick raft".  So, I'm pretty low to the water.  I have a 9' 4wt (a Winston B2x)  that I have used, but the extra length of a longer rod is helpful when I'm sitting so low on the water.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Cheers,
Bryan

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #4 on: 22/06/2018 at 20:34 »
Oh! :z12  Derek Roxborough

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 25/06/2018 at 07:53 »
So, I'm pretty low to the water.

I went over to a 10 foot 4 weight for the situation you describe. I built two rods on the same blank, a 10 foot #4 PacBay Quickline and I have to say, it makes a pretty impressive rod....and for a very good price.

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #6 on: 25/06/2018 at 18:18 »
I agree. My favourite rod for tubing is an old 9' 9" 4# Peregrine

Even with my lanky arms I still prefer the slightly longer rod in the tube.

Steven.

Jeff Donovan

« Reply #7 on: 25/06/2018 at 23:16 »
Wychwood Drift XL is manufactured to the size/weight you require, ie 9' 6" in a #4... see link.  https://www.fishtec.co.uk/buy.cfm/fly-rods/wychwood-drift-xl-rod/40/yes/156553

Bryan Redd

« Reply #8 on: 26/06/2018 at 04:08 »
Jeff,

Thank you for the link!

Cheers,
Bryan

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 26/06/2018 at 07:40 »
I agree. My favourite rod for tubing is an old 9' 9" 4# Peregrine

Even with my lanky arms I still prefer the slightly longer rod in the tube.

Steven.

A Peregrine, now that's a blast from the past. Just don't here about them these days although they seem to be on the go still.

Is it dark blue by any chance?

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #10 on: 26/06/2018 at 10:36 »
A Peregrine, now that's a blast from the past. Just don't here about them these days although they seem to be on the go still.

Is it dark blue by any chance?

It is indeed Rob. Dad and I went through a phase of having nothing but Peregrine rods and I one point I think we had the entire range between us  :z4. We still have them all in the garage. Dad had (I think) serial #2 of their first 15'. What an absolute beast of a thing that was. It could belt out a wet cell II for fun but by god was it a chore to use all day. Granted I think I must have been around 14/15 the last time I had a throw with it.

Come to think of it, I recall it having a nice deep through action. I really must dig it out and have a play around with Skagits on it  :z12

:z18

Steven.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 26/06/2018 at 10:52 »
It is indeed Rob. Dad and I went through a phase of having nothing but Peregrine rods and I one point I think we had the entire range between us  :z4. We still have them all in the garage. Dad had (I think) serial #2 of their first 15'. What an absolute beast of a thing that was. It could belt out a wet cell II for fun but by god was it a chore to use all day. Granted I think I must have been around 14/15 the last time I had a throw with it.

Come to think of it, I recall it having a nice deep through action. I really must dig it out and have a play around with Skagits on it  :z12

Steven.

And all built on a British blanks that 99% of fly anglers have never heard of ;)

Unfortunately the blue is no longer available.

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #12 on: 26/06/2018 at 12:38 »
Rob,

Would those be mr Harrison’s blanks?

Eddie

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #13 on: 26/06/2018 at 14:17 »
Rob,

Would those be mr Harrison’s blanks?

Eddie

Mostly. It was Richard Walker in King Street that stocked them up here.  I believe that some were built on standard Harrison blanks and others were specially rolled.

I am away to order some LOHRIC blanks and I have already built on their Ballista and Traditional blanks. The 4/5 4 piece traditional is really sweet. I built one for a friends dad in blue. Really bonnie looking rod with performance to match.

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #14 on: 27/06/2018 at 01:27 »
Mostly. It was Richard Walker in King Street that stocked them up here.  I believe that some were built on standard Harrison blanks and others were specially rolled.

I am away to order some LOHRIC blanks and I have already built on their Ballista and Traditional blanks. The 4/5 4 piece traditional is really sweet. I built one for a friends dad in blue. Really bonnie looking rod with performance to match.

Richard Walker. Now that's another blast from the past!

I'm amazed that anybody could find anything in that shop through the clouds of smoke  :z4 I recall being in their when I was single digits with Dad and his trusty pipe bellowing reek everywhere   :z3

I'm almost certain that it was through Richard that Dad was introduced to Peregrine's, as Dad tied flies for the shop for years.

Steven.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com