Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Something of a salty quandary
« on: 17/06/2018 at 20:33 »
So today I was fishing near Portmahomack in the salty sea after Pollock.
I had with me the winner of last years WTT auction lot (we didn't manage to organise last years outing) and we had a grand time.
Once we'd worked on his casting he caught fish, which was nice.
I was also fishing and had over 30 Pollock to the fly - but none above 1.5lbs  :shock I've been used to working down to bigger fish but none came our way today.  Now I know this mark well and it usually produces some decent Pollock, but not one today.
I wondered why.
As the tide was 'making' and maybe 2 hrs before HW the place was descended on. Not one or two anglers, but probably close to 20. So where's the quandary you ask :?
Well others started catching these 'babies' and promptly killed them. Bags of them  :shock Just as well many of the 'fishers' were not gifted with fishing talent or the whole place would have been devoid of fish.... but I've a fair idea where all the good fish have gone, and back into the water isn't the location.
The quandary..... do you say something to folk who are just killing everything or not :? I didn't, but I wish I had.
Sad really - they're killing the sport :z10
H

Derek Roxborough

Re: Something of a salty quandary
« Reply #1 on: 17/06/2018 at 21:39 »
got to agree with you , but these people don't value the fish they catch, what do you do with bags of Pollock? I  used to take a couple to smoke, but that was it, , a few years back some on showed me a pic of over 100 trout taken at a local loch, but this loch was 2 1/2 hours walk from any road , so these would have to be carried or dumped, so what was the point? what state would they be in being carried on a summers day for 2 1/2 hours, some people don't realise that it is a finite resource, when I accused the trout man of being greedy , I was told I was jealous because I hadn't caught them :z8 Derek Roxborough

Dave Robb

« Reply #2 on: 17/06/2018 at 23:32 »
I’ve heard it on the rivers too, people not happy to fish for salmon if they can’t ‘chap’ one.  :X1

I haven’t kept a fish (any kind) in many years and don’t want to, that’s what fishmongers are for.

Fred Hay

« Reply #3 on: 18/06/2018 at 06:28 »
I had a similar experience on the rocks at Portsoy a couple of years ago - if you know the spot you'll know that there is room for maybe 6 anglers but that's tight and it needs everyone to be in accord with casting etc.    Anyway I was down to fish for mackerel but was basically pushed out by about 15 'immigrant anglers' who were intent in having the spot to themselves but they killed everything they caught from small pollock (4/5" long), small flatties (3/4" across), joey mackeral ……………...the lot.   And the litter they left behind was disgusting.
Again felt like saying something but outnumbered and didn't feel that safe - it wasn't a pleasant experience and I  haven't gone back !!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 18/06/2018 at 07:49 »
Same at Cove, Portlethen, Stonehaven, Peterhead, Sandend Bay the list is endless.

And also Aboyne Loch, Kinord Loch, the strictly no fishing Loch Davan, pretty much any loch in Perthshire that has Pike or Perch.

I have just about given up fishing anywhere with public access as I am so fed up of it.

I was even fishing the small harbour at Boddam one morning and a mini bus turned up. 6 or so chaps get out with Lidl special rods and reels and started to chuck feathers into the sea. They started catch immature fish around 3-8"..every one inyo a plastic bag.

I have said things before, but you are seriously putting yourself in danger. I have called the Police, to be told its not really on their radar. This is why the new laws on Pike need to go through...people may not like pike, but hopefully its the first step in getting fish stocks protected.

James Laraway

« Reply #5 on: 18/06/2018 at 12:36 »
i have a few fertiliser bags at the ready for my trip  to the Don tonight....
 :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com