Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Re: The River Lochy hatchery - worth a watch
« Reply #15 on: 14/06/2018 at 16:26 »
I'm going to lock this topic now as there's a real chance we'll continue off on a tangent which will, very simply, result in too much wordy ping pong. Emotive topic, but not the route I intended for this thread  ZX2

I understand aquaculture is here to stay, but we should not be painting the likes of Marine Harvest as the hero in this landscape. Just do a quick search, they are definitely the villain.
If anyone here does portray such a picture I shall have 'strong words' for them which may contain many very strong and very colourful metaphors....
it is informative and interesting - particularly the stocking of smolts.
Thank you James  :z16 For me this is for me is the key thing about the whole video, it is a strong break-away from standard practice and something Roger Barnes (the late River Lochy manager) and I lobbied for having seen in successive years thousand upon thousands of juvenile (and not so juvenile) fish getting wiped out by some idiot forgetting to release (or stopping the release of) compensation water from the Mucomir Dam  :z10 and then finding Sea Trout in the estuary covered head to toe and being eaten alive by sea lice infestations  :shock

If, for the moment, we can blinker ourselves to the support 'mechanism', what they're doing on the Lochy hatchery (which is actually at Glenfinnan.... and many, many miles from the Lochy....) is probably close to what we should be doing in many, many other river and loch systems around Scotland now:  by-pass the freshwater habitat aspect of stocking Salmon, get them to smolt and get them to sea.

In the meantime folks, the other videos done by the brothers Peake are well worth watching.
In some cases, try not to drool  :z16

H

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com