Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

Terry Coging

7 days near Assynt
« on: June 10, 2018, 08:21:25 AM »
8 of our club just returned from the Assynt region. Lochs fished were Borralan, Cam, Veyatie, Mhondail, Urigill and Shin.  Two of the guys wasted some time trying for salmon on  a bare boned R Oykell.
All Lochs produced plenty of fish and some members just lost count after 30 or so. The weather was excellent. Mostly sunny with a good breeze and some light cloud cover.  Lots of various types of sedge about.  A few mayfly on Cam and prolific hatches on Urigill on Friday.  Some of the guys who had not been there before thought they had landed in Heaven.
Highlights for me personally was catching fish on Shin after blanking on my last visit there 40 years ago. Also getting my boat on to Veyatie that enabled me to fish Loch Mhadail. The Lochs were quite low and getting across the sand bar from Veyatie into Mhondail was impossible with an estate boat.
Nearly all fish were caught on dry flies and top rod was Dave the Dap with his dapping rod. He also had the best average sized fish with several around the pound mark.  Another, younger member, went to the other extreme and tried for Ferrox on Veyatie with a toby resulting is a 2 1/2 pounder and lots of other fish. Hope he grows out of it for the next rip.

Euan Innes

Re: 7 days near Assynt
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 09:51:12 AM »
Nice work Terry. Any photos?

Euan  :z1
Living with deep, full breaths is the way of the trout. Fish, it seems, are the ultimate teachers in breathing.
RC Cone

Terry Coging

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 20:53:19 PM »
Nice work Terry. Any photos?

Unfortunately not Euan. Neither me or Dave the Dap (my usual boat partner) are media inclined. Pity really because we were in Gods country, catching spotted beauties.
I have never dapped before but D the D's results were quite convincing, so I set up a dapping rig on a 10' rod and pointed it to the sky at arms length. Bingo! Trouble was after missing more fish I instinctively tried to re cast, resulting in a wet flaccid pile. Had to give up with and aching arm after a while. I am sold on dapping in the right conditions though.
When comparing notes with a fellow fisherman who I have met up there a couple of times before,  it turned out that he had been bank fishing on Assynt that day and had caught 4 finnock and a 4lb grilse! Must try that next trip.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 08:12:45 AM by Hamish Young »

Euan Innes

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 23:25:39 PM »
Tis an art Terry. Hamish is the one to ask👌
Get a proper dapping rod outfit as it is well worth it.
No worries about the photos. I am up that way next week and I will take the same memories home with me as you did :z16
Euan
Living with deep, full breaths is the way of the trout. Fish, it seems, are the ultimate teachers in breathing.
RC Cone

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 09:31:55 AM »
well done Terry, I once took a party out and one Guy Dapped from the shore , catching the biggest fish of the day, it doesn't just have to be from a boat, :z16 Derek Roxborough

Terry Coging

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 22:25:38 PM »
My new dapping rod arrived today. A Mitchell 17'.  £35 + postage from GAC. Looks good quality for the price but I question the small size of the top 3 rings. I assumed that the rings would need to be quite large so that the the floss would flow out easily?

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 08:15:42 AM »
Shouldn't worry about it Terry, I've never had issues with floss and small diameter tip rings, but I suppose much depends on which floss you're actually using :?
Some dapping tips:
  • Only ever use a rod length of dapping floss - absolutely no more than that :!
  • Use monofilament no lighter than 20lbs but no heavier than 30lbs for the 'running line', you need a balance between lightness and control.
  • Your 'leader' on the front of the floss should be no more than 2ft.
:cool:
“When tired at last, he sat on the bank, while the river still chattered on to him, a babbling procession of the best stories in the world, sent from the heart of the earth to be told at last to the insatiable sea.”

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 08:35:43 AM »
Is dapping floss readily available guys?

Cheers
Mike
www.flylineshop.com   At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 08:43:45 AM »
It is Mike, although quality varies, the best I used was spinnaker dapping floss which was very robust.
Many modern flosses are white only and as I've discovered are very adept at picking up colour...... my white floss is now.... errr.... pink :shock
“When tired at last, he sat on the bank, while the river still chattered on to him, a babbling procession of the best stories in the world, sent from the heart of the earth to be told at last to the insatiable sea.”

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 13:36:47 PM »
 I have seen very narrow Nylon tape ( Ribbon) used successfully it was about 4mm, the best stuff was some
Polypropylene floss used to repair salmon nets, so what was used before synthetics became available? or did dapping only come into use when the synthetics were available? ( chicken & egg situation?) Derek Roxborough

Terry Coging

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 14:02:12 PM »
Is dapping floss readily available guys?

Mike - maybe you could stock the best quality available? ......as long as it's pink!

Hamish - I had trouble handling and seeing the mono and considered using yellow or orange 20lb backing line  by Leeda. It seems very light and smooth.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 14:29:06 PM by Hamish Young »

Hamish Young

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 14:38:13 PM »
Hamish - I had trouble handling and seeing the mono and considered using yellow or orange 20lb backing line  by Leeda. It seems very light and smooth.
The mono I'm using is technically a running line for shooting heads (so handling is relatively easy) and it's super-vibrant pink in colour (so easy to see). 
Whatever you use it has to have two key properties:
  • Relative stiffness - you don't want it to be too supple or you will not be able to control floss & fly
  • Suitable diameter - go too thin and it's a bugger to control, go too thick and the floss & fly won't 'work' due to being anchored
Let me know how you get on with that rod Terry, I've not tried that one but in the main most modern telescopic rods sold as  dapping rods have been far too stiff for the task at hand IMHO.

H

Forum moderators - Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum