Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Gary Clewes

Blackmaster Rod Blank
« on: 29/05/2018 at 16:42 »
Hi All,

I am just starting rod building and I already have a rod blank for my first build, but I was talking to my dad recently who was saying he was finding it hard to source a 7 piece 9ft 5wt rod as the one he has has broken and they don't sell them anymore. So that got me thinking to see if there were any blanks in this configuration which I could maybe get and surprise him with a custom build rod (probably really poorly done by me  :z4 ). The only ones I've come across have been ones from Blackmaster and I've never heard of this company before and cannot find any info on them. I noticed that a few of you have used HiLevel.se and was wondering if anyone had any experience of this blank from a fishing perspective?

Many thanks

Gary

Derek Roxborough

Re: Blackmaster Rod Blank
« Reply #1 on: 29/05/2018 at 20:15 »
yes decent enough blanks for the price, I got the 10ft set, nice blanks,been using it already ,Derek Roxborough

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 30/05/2018 at 08:10 »
I am guessing you are talking about the Blacksmasters sold by Hi Level in Sweden?

Bloke, here in the UK do 7 piece blanks. I can't see a 5 weight listed just now on his ebay shop. but he has a 6 weight for a buy it now price of £50 or a full ready to build kit for £88.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bloke-Fly-rod-blank-XL50-9-6wt-7-piece/292271555540?epid=2267286261&hash=item440cbe03d4:g:QxwAAOSwVA5aISpW

It might be worth pinging Mick a message to see if he has a 5? Often not all blanks are listed at once.

NEXTackle in Bulgaria also sell blanks through ebay. They have had 7-piece blanks listed before. I have built two rods on their blanks and they were not bad at all.

Hope that helps a little.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #3 on: 30/05/2018 at 08:16 »
I built a  very nice 7 pc 4 wt on Cabelas blanks, when the £ was stronger ,  hi-level  is quite good with a good range of stuff, and the postage is better than some dealers in the UK, Derek Roxborough

Gary Clewes

« Reply #4 on: 30/05/2018 at 13:40 »
Thanks guys,

Yeah the blank I have to do my first build on is a Bloke rod and I had contacted him about a 5wt version of the 7 piece he does but he doesn't do it in that weight. I also had a look at the BFC NEXTackle blanks but couldn't see any in that configuration.

I appreciate the input.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com