Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Euan Innes

Re: Rod actions.... a personal journey
« Reply #30 on: 10/06/2018 at 23:29 »
Feck you🖕
If we stop at a burn mouth it could be good fun with wee troot.
It has also been a while since I had a chuck with it so let me be😁
Euan

Terry Coging

« Reply #31 on: 14/06/2018 at 08:31 »
It would be safe to say that between you guys you have tried just about everything out there.  So here's the question.  How would you define 'recovery'  and how does fast recovery relate to fish playing qualities on fine leaders?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #32 on: 14/06/2018 at 10:03 »
It would be safe to say that between you guys you have tried just about everything out there.  So here's the question.  How would you define 'recovery'  and how does fast recovery relate to fish playing qualities on fine leaders?

Hi Terry,
The recovery is the speed the tip returns to its original straight form. It does not affect the playing ability of the rod...it still bends. A fast recovery does not always mean a stiff rod.

As an example, my glass rod has a very fast recovery, but its wonderful with light tippets.

Terry Coging

« Reply #33 on: 14/06/2018 at 22:17 »
Thanks Rob. The reason I asked the question is that, speaking as a dim engineer, it seems counter intuitive that a fast recovery rod can also have a soft fish playing nature?  In the search for higher performance and sales, graphene is being used to augment CF, as was boron etc., but you and many others are going back to glass? I am very happy with the graphene rod. It bent nicely on a hundred or so 12oz brownies last week but the question still lingers......

Vedran Oreskovic

« Reply #34 on: 15/06/2018 at 20:41 »
 :z4 I was in doubt what line to buy, SLX or GT90..and I ordered SLX 5 days ago :-D I'm pretty sure it will be great and I can't wait to arrive to try it. But next line will be GT90 for sure  :z16

Vedran,
You should try a GT90 on it. My Fario likes the SLX (I could even put on an intermediate poly and still use it!), likes the Mallard DT4 but LOVES the GT90. I haven't tried the poly on the GT90 yet but I am going North next week so might give it a bash.
My love of "fast" rods is fading away but unlike Hamish I will use my Bamboo rod.
Might even take it North.... :z4

Euan :z1

Terry Coging

« Reply #35 on: 20/06/2018 at 12:09 »
Thanks for that Rob.  I saw an  illustration of the cross section and it certainly looked like graphene was separate to the resin? Can't for the life of me find it anywhere. Would like to take a fresh look just as a matter of interest.  Whatever the application it will not affect my appreciation of the FX1.

My first rod blank was a tank aerial  :cool:  moved on a bit from then...........

Hamish Young

Re: Rod actions.... a personal journey New
« Reply #36 on: 20/06/2018 at 17:44 »
Thanks for that Rob.  I saw an  illustration of the cross section and it certainly looked like graphene was separate to the resin? Can't for the life of me find it anywhere. Would like to take a fresh look just as a matter of interest.  Whatever the application it will not affect my appreciation of the FX1.
Probably this that you saw Terry  https://gamefishingireland.ie/2016/03/09/mackenzie-fx1-graphene/

My first rod blank was a tank aerial  :cool:  moved on a bit from then...........

Aye, my Dad still had his until ten or so years ago  :wink

H   :z18

Terry Coging

« Reply #37 on: 21/06/2018 at 12:09 »
Thank you Hamish. That is where I saw it.  So the graphene is a structure, rather than a particle mix with the resin. That makes far more sense.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com