Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

Damaged Butt !
« on: 25/05/2018 at 20:52 »
Chaos, I have an original ‘the Gordon ‘ but in my younger days I have obviously stuck flies in it which was taken a chunk out of it.  Anyone know of some one who could fit a new one for me?

Hamish Young

Re: Damaged Butt !
« Reply #1 on: 26/05/2018 at 20:27 »
Try dropping Sandy a message  :z16
Or Rob.

Euan Innes

« Reply #2 on: 27/05/2018 at 00:30 »
He da MAN!!! Call Sandy..
E

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 27/05/2018 at 08:22 »
Will do, thanks chaps

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 27/05/2018 at 09:05 »
James

Is it an extended butt? if so does it unscrew? if so the easy option is to get a new one, they are mostly the same thread.
If its fixed, then send me a picture and i can see what i can do. i've stacks of cork, but the pistage will cost you more than the shives. Hopefully it unscrews then its easy.

Cheers

Sandy

James Laraway

« Reply #5 on: 27/05/2018 at 21:54 »
Hi Sandy, thanks for the reply. I tidied up the missing cork, cut some from a champagne cork and have glued in place. I’ll leave to set overnight then will sand. If it looks a mess I’ll send you a photo ! Regards, James

James Laraway

« Reply #6 on: 28/05/2018 at 09:32 »
well, i had a go last night. Cut out the damaged cork

Before:

then cut out a piece of champagne cork. The added some gorilla glue and zip tied in place to keep nice and tight.

this morning i had a do with some sand paper and although it wont look as good as done profesisonally by someone like Sandy, you know what ? It looks much better ! ( well i think it does anyway !)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 28/05/2018 at 15:12 »
I had (have) spare cork rings sitting. would have been easy enough to remove the very bottom cork and put a complete shive on. meaning no joins.

I would also suggest adding a section of rubberised cork which will stop it happening again.

I added some to this handle, just stops the edges of the cork getting damaged or "chipped".

James Laraway

« Reply #8 on: 29/05/2018 at 09:15 »
it was caused by me years ago using the butt to hold the tail fly...lesson learned.

I actually have an old favourite spinning rod ( a diawa) that believe it or not had 'fake cork wrap' which has peeled off .

I cant part with it so i think i will cut of the fake cork and put some 'real stuff' on :-)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com