Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

James Laraway

Damaged Butt !
« on: May 25, 2018, 20:52:12 PM »
Chaos, I have an original the Gordon but in my younger days I have obviously stuck flies in it which was taken a chunk out of it.  Anyone know of some one who could fit a new one for me?

Hamish Young

Re: Damaged Butt !
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 20:27:32 PM »
Try dropping Sandy a message  :z16
Or Rob.
When tired at last, he sat on the bank, while the river still chattered on to him, a babbling procession of the best stories in the world, sent from the heart of the earth to be told at last to the insatiable sea.

Euan Innes

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 00:30:04 AM »
He da MAN!!! Call Sandy..
E
Living with deep, full breaths is the way of the trout. Fish, it seems, are the ultimate teachers in breathing.
RC Cone

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 08:22:41 AM »
Will do, thanks chaps

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 09:05:30 AM »
James

Is it an extended butt? if so does it unscrew? if so the easy option is to get a new one, they are mostly the same thread.
If its fixed, then send me a picture and i can see what i can do. i've stacks of cork, but the pistage will cost you more than the shives. Hopefully it unscrews then its easy.

Cheers

Sandy
John Geirach 1999 "Millions of trout have died of old age before i could catch them and there's not a damn thing i can do about that"

James Laraway

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 21:54:18 PM »
Hi Sandy, thanks for the reply. I tidied up the missing cork, cut some from a champagne cork and have glued in place. Ill leave to set overnight then will sand. If it looks a mess Ill send you a photo ! Regards, James

James Laraway

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 09:32:30 AM »
well, i had a go last night. Cut out the damaged cork

Before:

then cut out a piece of champagne cork. The added some gorilla glue and zip tied in place to keep nice and tight.

this morning i had a do with some sand paper and although it wont look as good as done profesisonally by someone like Sandy, you know what ? It looks much better ! ( well i think it does anyway !)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 15:12:40 PM »
I had (have) spare cork rings sitting. would have been easy enough to remove the very bottom cork and put a complete shive on. meaning no joins.

I would also suggest adding a section of rubberised cork which will stop it happening again.

I added some to this handle, just stops the edges of the cork getting damaged or "chipped".

Ok, I admit it, I quite like this salmon fishing lark....

James Laraway

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 09:15:00 AM »
it was caused by me years ago using the butt to hold the tail fly...lesson learned.

I actually have an old favourite spinning rod ( a diawa) that believe it or not had 'fake cork wrap' which has peeled off .

I cant part with it so i think i will cut of the fake cork and put some 'real stuff' on :-)

Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk all rights reserved

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum