Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Graeme Stewart

Newb seeks fly........
« on: 25/05/2018 at 08:49 »
Hi Guys,
Newb to the forum, but been lurking here for a while after discovering Mr Barrio's lines, being completely ingnorant of them for 18 years   :z2
After accumulating flies over a number of years (never got the hang of tying my own and my finger dexterity and eyesight means that it is now probably a non starter now anyway) I had a couple of what I would call (wet) Dunkeld's in my boxes that I've bought somewhere either online or at a tackle shop.
Unusual tie in that it had an orange fluro tail  :shock and hackle was fairly soft (almost maribou/zonker like soft) after the jungle cock. On a size 12 or 14.
Easy thing would be to post a photo I know, but both were chewed and lost by overly zealous fish recently.
Does anyone have any idea where I can get my hands on similar? I have other ties of Dunkelds but just not the same (or as "successful").

Ta muchly

Graeme

Hamish Young

Re: Newb seeks fly........
« Reply #1 on: 25/05/2018 at 17:56 »
Some keen forum tier of flies might help?

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 26/05/2018 at 04:05 »
Graeme,H

I can help but a little more detail of the pattern would allow me to make a proper copy. Is it a palmered orange hackle like the original ? Is the wing bronze mallard as it should be or is it grey squirrel which is sometimes used as a substitute ?

Although you said the fly was damaged, any photo would be good.

Eddie

Graeme Stewart

« Reply #3 on: 01/06/2018 at 15:52 »
Aha!
Whilst browsing this very forum, some kind soul had taken a picture of his fly box with his traditional flies, although he no longer appears to be active here.  I've lightened the picture and brought up the contrast a little to make it clearer.

At the bottom of the picture is a brown hairy splodge with an orange fluro tail.  I guarantee if you turn it over, it'll have a jungle cock eye and is a hairy dunkeld of sorts. The tail is a bit untidy on this one and seems to be spread horizontally rather than tight and vertical (similar to a fulling mill special dunkeld)

Does this help any chaps?

Graeme

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #4 on: 01/06/2018 at 16:13 »
Graeme,

That looks like CDC as if it was a floating sedge pattern not at all the Dunkeld that you were describing earlier. Did your Dunkeld float?

Eddie

Graeme Stewart

« Reply #5 on: 01/06/2018 at 16:41 »
Hi Eddie,
No, mine was a definite wet, didn't float.
The one in the pic has a tail, not what I'd think a traditional CDC would be, as the tail would make it too heavy to properly float and with a jungle cock eye and fluro tail, what would be the point?
I will hold my hands up to being an eejit with me using the term "hackle" in the original description rather than "wing" old age catching up with me I think!!

Graeme

Graeme Stewart

« Reply #7 on: 11/06/2018 at 13:06 »
Thanks for that Robert, close... but no

I've been through pages and pages of t'interweb looking for it  :mad, I just wish I could remember where they came from.
Luckily, the friendly lot that you guys on here are, someone has tied me up some that should be similar - I'm expecting them in the post today or tomorrow. I'll post a pic when they arrive.
Not been out with my old boat partner for a while, so next time, I'll be eyeing his flybox to see if I've given him one in the past.

The closest I've seen is this, with a thicker maribou/whatever wing but without the crystal thread and in a trout version - the tube being replaced with an orange fluro tail:

Cheers

Graeme

Graeme Stewart

« Reply #8 on: 13/06/2018 at 19:25 »
Well, I must pass my thanks to Mr Laraway for his patience - he has managed to tie a perfect replica of what I was looking for, including some variants.
I only hope that the fish don't notice a difference, I certainly couldn't.
My appreciation and thanks to James for taking his time to do this for "a new guy" on here.
I have asked him to post a photo or two of his handiwork, my understanding is that it is a tie of a Dunkeld, but I'm sure somebody may be able to tell me exactly what it is.

James Laraway

« Reply #9 on: 14/06/2018 at 09:07 »
was a pleasure to take up the challenge !

At the end of last year i picked up a couple of packets of marabou bloods, and one packet happened by chance to be the right 'brown'

I think they look really nice on wee doubles....

i may try them for my local brownies too  :z12

Dave Medlyn

« Reply #10 on: 27/06/2018 at 06:22 »
Very nice job there James!!

James Laraway

« Reply #11 on: 27/06/2018 at 09:14 »
Very nice job there James!!

Sadly nothing like the quality of your tying !!!!

Dave Medlyn

« Reply #12 on: 27/06/2018 at 21:26 »
It's just practice and some more practice, oh, and just a bit more practice!! Start with an easy pattern
Dave

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com