Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Gethin Jones

Roman Moser shock gum loops
« on: 21/05/2018 at 18:53 »
Just wondering if anyone has first hand experience of using the aforementioned loops and weather they really do work to protect light tippets?

Thanks in advance

Rob Brownfield

Re: Roman Moser shock gum loops
« Reply #1 on: 22/05/2018 at 07:43 »
I had never seen these so had to look them up. However, the idea is very similar to rigs coarse anglers use for feeder rigs and big fish on light hook lengths.  The main difference is that the coarse anglers hooklength may only be a couple of inches and therefore the elastic stretches about 3-4 feet if need be.

My question for fly fishing would have to be this...with a 9-12 foot leader, why do you need a shock absorber? Steer clear of pre-stretched mono or fluorocarbon for most of the length and you will have about 12-18" of natural stretch built into the leader in the first place. if you want super thin pre-stretched mono to the fly, then just do the last 2 feet with it.

I use Maxima for the Pike for that very reason, it has a bit of stretch.

Gethin Jones

« Reply #2 on: 22/05/2018 at 10:38 »
Rob,
There’s a big old Wiley brown in my local water that has broken me off three times now since 2016, from what I’ve seen of him he has to 5lb possibly a little bigger! and has made an old submerged stone wall and some Hazel roots his home territory.
The first time he took me into the roots and broke me off, second time he broke me off instantly when he took an ‘F’ fly on 5X copolymer and Saturday evening he took a size 18 baetis nymph and straightened the hook.
 I make my own tapered leaders using maxima tapering down to a length of Mike’s troutcast, the thing is he shy’s away from anything thicker than 5X also.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 22/05/2018 at 13:12 »
Rob,
There’s a big old Wiley brown in my local water that has broken me off three times now since 2016, from what I’ve seen of him he has to 5lb possibly a little bigger! and has made an old submerged stone wall and some Hazel roots his home territory.
The first time he took me into the roots and broke me off, second time he broke me off instantly when he took an ‘F’ fly on 5X copolymer and Saturday evening he took a size 18 baetis nymph and straightened the hook.
 I make my own tapered leaders using maxima tapering down to a length of Mike’s troutcast, the thing is he shy’s away from anything thicker than 5X also.

The answer is a glass rod. sorted!

Liam and Sandy on here have all landed massive brownies on glass rods and delicate tippets. I have switched to glass and it has transformed my river fishing. No more popped flies or straightened hooks,

Gethin Jones

« Reply #4 on: 22/05/2018 at 17:15 »
The answer is a glass rod. sorted!

Liam and Sandy on here have all landed massive brownies on glass rods and delicate tippets. I have switched to glass and it has transformed my river fishing. No more popped flies or straightened hooks,
I’ve been contemplating a glass rod for a couple of seasons to be honest but I thought the loops might be a cheaper alternative for now.
Anyway I went round to my father’s  last night, had a good look through  his rod rack and
ended up borrowing  his Winston LT 5wt...it’s a lot softer than anything I have.

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 22/05/2018 at 21:39 »
My favourite river rod used to be an Orvis Trident which (when the handle issues were addressed by Sandy) was a through actioned "noodle" as a former forum member classed it.  For me it has always been preferable to have a softer rod for short range fishing which, by and large, is river fishing in a nutshell. A softer rod can help "protect" the lightest of tippets and the finest of hooks when playing that trophy trout. I do not fish rivers enough (for trout at least) these days to warrant buying something, but if I did.... experience (not just mine) suggests that it's often a good idea to consider something different. The right carbon or glass rod would tempt me.... but not split cane :X1

I wonder.... we produce lighter, faster rods which are often casting cannons... which is nice. But we have also developed gear designed to provide what a softer rod would provide... have we gone too far?
I like a rod that bends and have come to appreciate those qualities more of late, part of the way there with some gear and completed the process in others.
Be interesting to see how you get on with that Winston rod Gethin... very interested :z17

Gethin Jones

« Reply #6 on: 22/05/2018 at 21:53 »
My favourite river rod used to be an Orvis Trident which (when the handle issues were addressed by Sandy) was a through actioned "noodle" as a former forum member classed it.  For me it has always been preferable to have a softer rod for short range fishing which, by and large, is river fishing in a nutshell. A softer rod can help "protect" the lightest of tippets and the finest of hooks when playing that trophy trout. I do not fish rivers enough (for trout at least) these days to warrant buying something, but if I did.... experience (not just mine) suggests that it's often a good idea to consider something different. The right carbon or glass rod would tempt me.... but not split cane :X1

I wonder.... we produce lighter, faster rods which are often casting cannons... which is nice. But we have also developed gear designed to provide what a softer rod would provide... have we gone too far?
I like a rod that bends and have come to appreciate those qualities more of late, part of the way there with some gear and completed the process in others.
Be interesting to see how you get on with that Winston rod Gethin... very interested :z17
You and me both Hamish,
I tried it once about twelve years ago and frankly couldn’t get on with it, but back then I was young ,foolish and obsessed with distance! my rods of choice back then  were Sage Xp’s..Will be nice to spend a couple of hours fishing and  adjusting my stroke  with the Winston tomorrow evening.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #7 on: 28/05/2018 at 15:03 »
 I haven't used the loops , but years back I tried the shock gum , supposedly you used about 6 to 8ins. in the line up, but I found you had to strike twice as hard to set the hook or you lost it, after a few goes I ditched it and relied on the bend in the rod , I felt I was going backwards with the Gum , Derek Roxborough

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com