Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terry Coging

The lift off
« on: 19/05/2018 at 21:15 »
I love the 'lift off' style of boat fishing when on the drift. I'm no expert but get reasonable results.  I tend to use a small weighted  nymph or mini lure on the point and two snatchers.  Usually when the dries are not working.  Looking for some  advice about this pleasant style of fishing.

Terry Coging

Re: The lift off
« Reply #1 on: 22/05/2018 at 08:34 »
Just re read my post and realised that it may have been a 'so what? we all do it' sort of thing.  We all know how important the lift off is before re casting but do some people set their rigs specifically for the lift off? I've been out all day in the boat and the only offers have been on the lift.  I'm not talking about the 'dibble' but about bringing the team up from  a couple of feet or so using a weighted point fly. Rigs, flies, technique and experience?

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 22/05/2018 at 09:12 »
I have altered my usual setup to allow a longer sweep and 'hold' for big wave and wind conditions. Typically this has meant switching to a Di7 or similar, making short casts and sweeping the line up with the rod and holding the flies. Tail fly is always weighted.
This has worked very well indeed for me on Watten and Shin. I wouldn't say that I have a specific plan to fish this way, but I do know what I like to use if conditions call for it.
H

Barry Robertson

« Reply #3 on: 22/05/2018 at 09:41 »
I have some hang markers made up on some of my sinking lines (some glow brite thread whipped on then bug bonded) , a good reminder to hang your flies  :z16

Terry Coging

« Reply #4 on: 23/05/2018 at 20:01 »
Thank you Barry.  When you say 'hang your flies' does that mean that they are stationary for a while before lifting? What types of flies? I assume nymphs when deeper?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com