Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

The Dee
« on: 17/05/2018 at 14:03 »
Had an evening on the Dee for Trout last night. Despite a bloody cold and stiff easterly breeze, I managed three on the dry. Hundreds of small hand sized fish slashing at the fly.

Got cold about 8 so packed up and headed to Loriston only for a look.

Fish moving so cobbled together something from my river gear and stuck on a DHE.

A 4 weight Fario and an SLX is an awesome combination, allowing me to plop the fly to the feeding fish just about at full line length..perhaps 85 feet?.

Up comes a nose and I have my first fish in the net. Lost two more fish over the next 15 minutes until the wind picked up more and I was "blown off" the loch with such light gear.

Discovered the tippet had wrapped around the wing post and the fly was fishing "backwards", hence the dropped fish.

All a lesson in casting into the wind and jolly good fun on light gear.

Euan Innes

Re: The Dee
« Reply #1 on: 18/05/2018 at 16:32 »
Glad the Fario is working out for you Rob  :z16

Euan

Rob Brownfield

Re: The Dee
« Reply #2 on: 21/05/2018 at 08:29 »
Glad the Fario is working out for you Rob  :z16

Euan

I have still to try the 6 weight, I think it will be far more useful on Loriston than the 4.  :)

I hope to give it a try this week sometime.

The 4 is a lovely rod to cast, very tight loops if you want them. Not hooked a decent river fish on it as I am tending to use my glass rod more, but when the wind is up, the 4 will be very useful.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com