Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

Rob Brownfield

The Dee
« on: May 17, 2018, 14:03:18 PM »
Had an evening on the Dee for Trout last night. Despite a bloody cold and stiff easterly breeze, I managed three on the dry. Hundreds of small hand sized fish slashing at the fly.

Got cold about 8 so packed up and headed to Loriston only for a look.

Fish moving so cobbled together something from my river gear and stuck on a DHE.

A 4 weight Fario and an SLX is an awesome combination, allowing me to plop the fly to the feeding fish just about at full line length..perhaps 85 feet?.

Up comes a nose and I have my first fish in the net. Lost two more fish over the next 15 minutes until the wind picked up more and I was "blown off" the loch with such light gear.

Discovered the tippet had wrapped around the wing post and the fly was fishing "backwards", hence the dropped fish.

All a lesson in casting into the wind and jolly good fun on light gear.
Ok, I admit it, I quite like this salmon fishing lark....

Euan Innes

Re: The Dee
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 16:32:10 PM »
Glad the Fario is working out for you Rob  :z16

Euan
Living with deep, full breaths is the way of the trout. Fish, it seems, are the ultimate teachers in breathing.
RC Cone

Rob Brownfield

Re: The Dee
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 08:29:08 AM »
Glad the Fario is working out for you Rob  :z16

Euan

I have still to try the 6 weight, I think it will be far more useful on Loriston than the 4.  :)

I hope to give it a try this week sometime.

The 4 is a lovely rod to cast, very tight loops if you want them. Not hooked a decent river fish on it as I am tending to use my glass rod more, but when the wind is up, the 4 will be very useful.
Ok, I admit it, I quite like this salmon fishing lark....

Forum moderators - Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum