Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Barry Robertson

Fly rod for a young boy
« on: 15/05/2018 at 10:04 »
Morning,

Does anyone have any modified or short / light fly rods for a youngster to try, the child in question is 4. Very early I know but thought I would start him early..
He manages the spinning rod ok so next thing I thought would be for a fly rod to try in the garden, any help ,much appreciated  :z18

Rob Brownfield

Re: Fly rod for a young boy
« Reply #1 on: 15/05/2018 at 12:24 »
Sorry, can't help, but I was thinking. Would it make sense to get him one of the practice rods that the likes of Orvis does?

Short and light, no chance of getting a fly in the eye, and you could play "accuracy" games with him with the foam fish it comes with. The bright colours of the "line" etc might keep him interested, and he will be developing his cast as well.

http://www.orvis.co.uk/p/practicaster/2nj6

Other versions are available too :)

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #2 on: 15/05/2018 at 20:00 »
I bought my 7 yr old G/Daughter a 7ft 3wt Shakespear, it was £25 with it's tube delivered, light enough for small people and good enough to put out a nice line ,  not a lot for a decent rod, Derek Roxborough

Terry Coging

« Reply #3 on: 16/05/2018 at 08:22 »
Derek - I was thinking along those lines for my 7 y/o Gt G Daughter. I looked at my 8' #4 but a shade to big. No Lochs around here but the canal is a short walk away and full of Perch to practice on.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 20/05/2018 at 19:38 »
Bazz
I have one of those practice casting jobs, yours if you want it.

:z18

Jim

Barry Robertson

« Reply #5 on: 22/05/2018 at 07:11 »
Thanks Jim very much appreciated,  :z16
I can take you for a day on Lintrathen in return if you fancy it? I am back Friday for 3 ½ weeks  :z12

Jim Eddie

« Reply #6 on: 22/05/2018 at 10:06 »
Ok Baz , I will see when I can jump the reservation

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com