Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Steven Sinclair

Re: Electric outboard - recommendations
« Reply #15 on: 11/05/2018 at 04:06 »
H,
Have to agree that the torqeedo looks the business albeit it is eye wateringly expensive. However at my age the thought of not lugging heavy batteries over boggy ground to get to a boat in remote areas does seem very tempting. I am thinking of how I can rack up sufficient points between now and birthday time and if that fails Christmas. Might have a 55lb thrust Shakespeare for sale later this year if all goes to plan😂

Eddie

Negative. I'll be wanting to African Engineer the Shakey onto my kayak if you go down that route  :z4 I've been looking at the torqeedo's for quite a while now as it's a much better solution for trawling on my yak. You buying one and me using it sounds like a far better plan though  :z16

:z18

Steven.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #16 on: 11/05/2018 at 13:30 »
this may have nothing to do with O/boards , I notice that you can buy anti-explosion containers for Lithium batteries, It may just be for Model Batteries , but I noticed this, when My son was looking for batteries for his Robot fish that he has built,( a new slant on Put and take?) Derek Roxborough

Barry Robertson

« Reply #17 on: 22/05/2018 at 07:42 »
I think the charger is more important than the battery - if you get a ctek charger life will be good, I have been through endless amounts of chargers previously and eventually found this to be the best thing for leisure batteries.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-MXS-5-0-Reconditions-Motorcycle/dp/B00FC42HAA

As for a battery, 1 Lucas 110 ah will  easy do you 10 hours with no probs and using the above charger will be re charged perfectly over 36 hrs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Lucas-LX31MF-XV31MF-Ultra-Deep-Cycle-Leisure-Battery-4-Yrs-Wrnty/202180795512?epid=716977021&hash=item2f12ea1c78:g:9OUAAOSwzgBY3R-V

Best motor would deffo be and old Min Kota as the motors never go in them, but  shaky motors  are ok and replacement motors are easily available and can be fitted yourself.

Neil at Angus angling has plenty shake spear motors in store.

John Powell

« Reply #18 on: 27/06/2018 at 13:11 »
I've recently converted to boat fishing on the club water

It's a long trek (stumble) around the rough banks and my knees are giving out

my pal has a Bison 40 - no complaints - but

I bought a Minn Kota 34lb - superb quality perhaps not big enough for larger waters
and a Halfords 70Ah Leisure battery - reasonable weight (perhaps 2 in parallel are needed for >40lb. - or a 115Ah)
and a CTEK 'smart' charger

freedom to roam is a revalation... :!

Graeme Stewart

« Reply #19 on: 27/06/2018 at 16:51 »
I have just dug out an old Minn Kota that I was given 10 years or so ago as "broken".
Quick check reveals the throttle switch has worn to the point it doesn't click going through the speeds, apart from that, works great (36lbs thrust).
Quick order of parts from the US, £40, and they'll be here next week.
Checked the serial number on it and find that it's about 30 years old. Built to last and parts still available.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com