Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Electric outboard - recommendations
« on: 09/05/2018 at 14:01 »
So here's the thing....
I have been offered a slot in a newly formed trout fishing syndicate which will give me access to some lochs immediately to the South of Loch Ness. Not necessarily exclusive access, but a seasons access nonetheless.
Naturally, I said yes :z18
Now two of the lochs you may use an outboard but it has to be electric. This means I need to invest in the following:
1. A good quality high thrust electric outboard.
2. Two, maybe three, good quality deep cycle batteries. 
3. A decent battery charger

Now the thing is I have been toying with buying one for a few years, now I have the 'motivation' it becomes a must have item.

Although I have used several types of electric outboard I am always interested in the experience and views of others when it comes to making informed purchase decisions.
Help please  :z18

H :cool:

Eddie Sinclair

Re: Electric outboard - recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 09/05/2018 at 15:08 »
H,

Steven bought me a Shakespeare 55 electric motor quite a few years ago which I use and abuse in Durness and other lochs where I can’t use the petrol one. I cannot give a definitive comparison against other brands but with a Halfords leisure battery I have always managed a full day of fishing and flat out against the wind motoring back up against the weather to the next drift with no issues.

Eddie

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 09/05/2018 at 15:12 »
H,

Forgot to say, I can bring the electric motor up for you to road test on a loch if your choice as long as I  can also bring a rod to use while you are testing the motor.  :X2

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 09/05/2018 at 15:15 »
............... a cunning plan :z4

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #4 on: 09/05/2018 at 15:55 »
I have a Shakespear 44lb thrust and a much more expensive Battery it's a Halfords deep cycle I should have a 115AH but in the interests of carrying I took the  75AH , it does me and its much easier to carry down to the loch, I can usually get about 4 hours useful fishing out of it, a, nd a run home, this is pushing a 14ft Pioner, so its not the most streamlined of boats, it would probably do better on a good Keel boat,I looked into Lithium batteries, But my Bro' in law ( golfer) got one for his cart, it was nearly £400, a bit out of my pocket,some one on you tube made a lithium battery up with model packs these were fitted into a tupper wear box and were a lot lighter than the lead acid , Derek Roxborough

Terry Coging

« Reply #5 on: 09/05/2018 at 17:25 »
I use cheapo outboards. A Shaky 34lb, a Bison 39lb and a Bison 55lb.  The Shaky is the best quality and used it for 10 years. It replaced one I had smashed on rocks. The Bisons are not as smooth but have the advantage of a charge meter and a flexible shaft. The flexible shaft has withstood a few rocky bumps but the plastic prop shear pin location gets damaged and the shear pins bend.  So instead of a shear pin replacement following a rocky incident it is a new prop. I have modified the prop with plastic metal to strengthen the shear pin location. - bit of a bodge though.  The Bison is OK in salt water, which is why I got the 55lb thrust.  The Shaky 34lb is quite efficient and I have been out for a long day using 75AH batteries and sometimes not had to resort to the spare. I always take 2 batteries if out for the day. If I were to start out from scratch I would be happy with a Shakespeare and would not recommend the Bison even at the silly cheap prices. The difference in max speed between a 39lb thrust and a 55lb is hardly noticeable but battery life seems disproportionally poor with the 55lb.

Duncan Inglis

« Reply #6 on: 09/05/2018 at 18:16 »
I’ve found similar to Terry regarding the thrust of motore, my original 30lb thrust motor did the job and the 75amp battery lasted a day. I replaced with a 45lb thrust, doesn’t seem any faster in reality but uses up the 110amp battery I now have!
With regards to chargers I now use a CTEC unit after having trouble charging leisure batteries with a “normal” charger.
The Halfords batteries seem to get a good name, I know a few people using them, all giving good feed back. Don’t try a normal car battery, the current draw and frequent charging ruins them.
Finally have you thought about a Torpeedo electric outboard, not cheap but everyone I know that has one swears by the due to their performance and light weight.

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 09/05/2018 at 19:23 »
H,

Forgot to say, I can bring the electric motor up for you to road test on a loch if your choice as long as I  can also bring a rod to use while you are testing the motor.  :X2
Any time Eddie  :z16

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 09/05/2018 at 19:26 »
Terry, Derek, Duncan & Eddie - thanks all very useful feedback.

Duncan if you're talking about these: https://www.torqeedo.com/en/products/outboards/travel I have to say I am tempted :! They've come up in my research and I really like the concept. Trouble is.... they're buggeringly expensive :! :!

H :z18

Duncan Inglis

« Reply #9 on: 09/05/2018 at 21:53 »
Yes they are but look at the guarantee on the battery. I’ve been getting at best 3 years out of a battery using the Ctec, so factor that in. Also you don’t need to carry spare batteries, the guys who have them say they get a full days fishing even on a big Loch and finally there is the weight issue with leisure batteries. When my current battery etc needs replaced I’m seriously considering a Torpeedo as I could use it on the likes of Loch Lee.
But yes they are expensive!!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 09/05/2018 at 22:31 »
You're gonna need a lot of brownie points for a Torqeedo Hamish :z13

Hamish Young

« Reply #11 on: 10/05/2018 at 08:12 »
I'm going to need a bucket load of those for sure Mike :! Possibly a small financial windfall too  :z13
But the technology appeals to me :z17

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #12 on: 10/05/2018 at 15:11 »
H,
Have to agree that the torqeedo looks the business albeit it is eye wateringly expensive. However at my age the thought of not lugging heavy batteries over boggy ground to get to a boat in remote areas does seem very tempting. I am thinking of how I can rack up sufficient points between now and birthday time and if that fails Christmas. Might have a 55lb thrust Shakespeare for sale later this year if all goes to plan😂

Eddie

Terry Coging

« Reply #13 on: 10/05/2018 at 19:29 »
If I were using the boat regularly the Torqueedo would be very appealing, even at that price.  My only reservation would be - how rock proof are they?  It's all very well shuffling around marinas, but a windy, rocky loch is another matter. Bash one of those up and it will cost you . 

Hamish Young

« Reply #14 on: 10/05/2018 at 20:10 »
Aye, I think if I were out more often than is likely (3-4  times a month, maybe more) the Torqeedo has huge appeal. As it's unlikely I will, it makes more sense to go for something more 'mainstream'  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com