Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Allan Liddle

Re: Carp..... in the Highlands
« Reply #15 on: 11/05/2018 at 08:15 »
Looks amazing, something i really need to get round to doing :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #16 on: 11/05/2018 at 14:15 »
Still say there is huge scope for a water stocked with F1 carp (Common/Crucian cross) which grow to about 8 pounds, feed through the winter and will take flies freely, including dries. Add in a few Commons to give some bigger fish to go at, and you have a very exciting fishing experience that's more of a challenge than trout and gives a fish that fights far harder whilst being a bit more robust for C&R.

Will also tolerate low oxygen/high temperatures better.

A coarse water down where I was staying last weekend switches one of its waters to fly only through the summer months and the fishing is amazing, with carp, roach, bream, tench, rudd and orfe/Ide all taking the fly.

Hamish Young

« Reply #17 on: 13/05/2018 at 09:01 »
No pun intended, but I'm casting my eye around for other opportunities for UK carp fly fishing - they do go well  :z18 I would consider a warmer climate trip too.
I've no doubt you're right Rob,  a UK venue (fly only) might work, but the question is where and how much to charge....

H

Euan Innes

« Reply #18 on: 13/05/2018 at 15:03 »
I seem to recall that in one of John Gierachs books he enters a carp on the fly competition in the States somewhere.
I am too far away from my Gierach collection at the moment to check, but I do remember that the name of the competition was....
CARP DIEM!  :z4 :z4 :z4
That might be a trip worth doing.
Euan

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #19 on: 14/05/2018 at 07:58 »
No pun intended, but I'm casting my eye around for other opportunities for UK carp fly fishing - they do go well  :z18 I would consider a warmer climate trip too.
I've no doubt you're right Rob,  a UK venue (fly only) might work, but the question is where and how much to charge....

H

One of the waters I was meant to be fishing last week before food poisoning took hold was a place called Willinghurst in Surry. They have at least half a dozen lakes where fly fishing for carp  is allowed and actively encouraged. Well worth a visit...only an 8.5, 450 mile drive from me...but I will be back!

I also had permission to fish another "secret" water down there, but I soon realised that it was not practical. The fish started at around 25lbs (grown on, not stocked) and ran up to a colossal 56lbs.  With all the will in the world, it would have been irresponsible to fish for those on a fly rod due to the weedy nature of the place.

I have also been given the nod to a water in the North East of England.  It's going to be hard, but the fish are often seen in the margins so sight fishing should be possible.

Unfortunately, none of the Scottish Carp Group waters are suitable for fly fishing :( but there are a few trout waters with carp in them, and again, I have been given the nod on one local(ish) water so just waiting for a warm day as they are often seen on the top taking bits off the surface. Those fish are 11-17lb so should be good fun on a 7 weight (If Orvis ever get my rod back to me :( )

Hamish Young

« Reply #20 on: 14/05/2018 at 12:56 »
I also had permission to fish another "secret" water down there, but I soon realised that it was not practical. The fish started at around 25lbs (grown on, not stocked) and ran up to a colossal 56lbs.  With all the will in the world, it would have been irresponsible to fish for those on a fly rod due to the weedy nature of the place.

Interesting stuff Rob  :z16  Sorry about the food poisoning, must have put a dampener on things  :shock

I quoted the above bit of your post because it got me thinking about the right tackle for the job.
I'm assuming you discarded the idea of going for these larger fish as you didn't have a 'stout' enough fly rod with you, but if you had then surely it would have been worth a punt :? A nice #9wt would probably be OK, but it would need to bend a tad  :z17

H

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #21 on: 14/05/2018 at 15:16 »
Interesting stuff Rob  :z16  Sorry about the food poisoning, must have put a dampener on things  :shock

I quoted the above bit of your post because it got me thinking about the right tackle for the job.
I'm assuming you discarded the idea of going for these larger fish as you didn't have a 'stout' enough fly rod with you, but if you had then surely it would have been worth a punt :? A nice #9wt would probably be OK, but it would need to bend a tad  :z17

H

I had my Helios 9 weight with me but very quickly realised that firstly, I was too far from a toilet to fish...and secondly, I would not have stood a chance if I had hooked one of those fish. The water was very weedy and I would have been weeded in seconds. I just don't think a 9 weight would have made an impression on those particular fish. Tails like shovels and rarely caught. The smallest one I saw was a good 35lb in weight!

Willinghurst suggest a 9 weight for their lakes. Most fish are in the 8-15lb region and the lakes are relatively weed free.

The manager of the carp water up here uses 7 or 8, but the loch is only 2 acres, uniform and with very little weed and no snags.

Its all relative of course. When you are fishing for doubles on a large inland sea with room for them to run, then rod choice is less critical. Having had a few carp over 20lbs on stalking gear (9-10 foot rods) I don't think I would fish for 20lb carp on purpose with a fly unless the water was pretty clear of weed.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com