Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terry Coging

Attaching tapered leader?
« on: 30/04/2018 at 13:44 »
Advice please.... SLX #6 tip is thicker than GT90 and I want to fit a heavy butt, nice and neat. No loops or knots. I was thinking of fitting a tapered mono leader in the same manner as a braided loop.  I used this method some years ago but I cannot find the supplier?
Any ideas please?

Derek Roxborough

Re: Attaching tapered leader?
« Reply #1 on: 30/04/2018 at 15:52 »
Hi Terry , are you thinking of a Tapered Braided  leader?I fitted a poly leader with some shrink fit tubing, but it wasn't a great success, I just use a figure 8 knot, cheap and simple, it has worked for generations,  I don't like Braided loops, Derek Roxborough

Terry Coging

« Reply #2 on: 30/04/2018 at 17:49 »
Hi Derek - the leader I had in mind was a braid that was somehow  seamlessly welded/glued to the thick end of a tapered mono leader. I am not keen on loop to loop connections or tying a thick butt to a loop.  The GT90 and Mallard tips are about ten thou thinner, so a thick butt is not required on them. It's just for the SLX which will be used when conditions dictate.

Terry Coging

« Reply #3 on: 07/05/2018 at 08:49 »
Still looking for ideas. Thinking back, the leader with a braid and tube connection was a sinking tip, so the braid end was the core of the tip. Probably no such thing as what I am looking for which is a tapered mono with braid connection. ... wonder how that could be manufactured?

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 07/05/2018 at 08:56 »
Strikes me you'd need a long tapered braid (say 4-5") to roughly match the leader to fly line connection.

Why don't just just whip it Terry :? Not done that for a long time, but I did it a few times in the past.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com