Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

George Trebinski

Which line for a Hardy Zephrus 9' 5wt.
« on: April 26, 2018, 16:03:02 PM »
Hi .
Currently using an old Sportfish Harrison 8'6"  with a 6 weight Wulff TT line, both of which are overdue for retirement. So I've just blown my saved up beating money on a Hardy Zephrus FWS 9' AFTM5. I will be using it mostly on the upper Avon, so medium river, small dries and nymphs. A few trips to smallish lakes. Having already got a few Barrio lines for Sea trout and Grilse I'm very happy with the lines, the question is which line for the Zephrus? GT90 or SLX? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
George. :?

Mike Barrio

Re: Which line for a Hardy Zephrus 9' 5wt.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 20:21:28 PM »
Hi George,

Both lines would serve you well, I think it is really down to personal preference. The GT90 will offer slightly better presentation and the SLX is slightly better on a windy day.

It will be interesting to see what other forum members think.

Best wishes
Mike
www.flylineshop.com   At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 21:17:34 PM »
The Zephrus range are fast rods (bit wobbly in the tip) that respond well to a wee bit of weight in the head of a line so I personally would opt for and recommend the SLX over the GT90 in this instance.

H
“When tired at last, he sat on the bank, while the river still chattered on to him, a babbling procession of the best stories in the world, sent from the heart of the earth to be told at last to the insatiable sea.”

George Trebinski

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 17:42:17 PM »
Hi Hamish.

Many thanks, I'll go down then SLX route and give it a wave about.

George.

George Trebinski

Re: Which line for a Hardy Zephrus 9' 5wt. New
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 14:31:26 PM »
Just a quick upgrade on the performance of my Hardy Zephrus 9' 5 weight rod using the SLX 5 weight line. 
It works very well when the whole head is out (total cast 36 feet including leader and tippet), and then the rod comes to life. However when aerialising less than 30 feet total cast the SLX 5 seemed a tad light. It landed where I aimed but with virtually no feedback or loading of the rod. I tried a 6 weight Wulff TT and that loaded the rod more at distance but again felt too light  at closer range. I don't think it is the fault of the line, but that the rod is a fast action designed for casting at distances  of 40 feet or more,  and more a 6 weight rod than a 5. Just my 2 pence worth in case any one is minded to buy a Zephrus.   
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 21:41:08 PM by George Trebinski »

Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

© Copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk all rights reserved

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum