Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Paolo Canti

Presentation New
« on: 16/04/2018 at 20:25 »
Hello everybody, first thank you for the admission on this forum
I am Italian but moved in Lanzarote Island 15 years ago.  I've always fished with fly in Northern Italy before moving, after 15 years of spinning I had the opportunity to catch every kind of species here but  there came a day I said stop. Was a bit bored of lure fishing and wanted to go back to my old passion, fly fishing. In the middle of wind and waves I'm doing my  first hard steps on saltwater fly fishing.
After so many years far from freshwater had the opportunity the last summer to go to Ireland with my wife and, finally, I could enter again  in the lost calm of the fresh waters. Caught only small sea trouts and brown trouts on a quite famous salmon river.
In March I was back to my home river (Adda in Valtellina) and had a fantastic couple of days with dry flies (many big graylings and browns)
Now I would like to spend my next summer or autumn holidays in Scotland. Some Italian friends suggested Don river for browns trout and I'm realizing on this forum it should be a good choice. I am not searching for epic fish, just a relaxed fishing week in your beautiful nature. Salmon not strictly wanted :-)  A pair of good browns a day would be great
I travel with a 9' 4wt, a 9' 6wt and a 9'6" 7wt (more a 8wt). I have two two hands rods but are not for spey and neither switch rods, are two bombs for overcast 600grains and 900grains into the salt. Another useful information is I have never Spey casted but if I have space behind me I can cast  far with a 9' and a double haul. So if the river is not so large I can manage, in some ways, what the river asks.
This time I should spend my fishing holidays by the end of September (or August...) with a friend of mine from Sardinia, a great saltwater angler but he doesn't fish with flies...so the main question is if we could find a nice beat where I can dedicate to fly and him with lures. FishPal site is not as clear about spinning in the beats not stately considered FF Only.

Un saludo
Paolo Canti

Terry Coging

Re: Presentation
« Reply #1 on: 19/05/2018 at 21:07 »
I wonder why Paolo has not had a reply?

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 20/05/2018 at 07:29 »
Probably because there's not really many folk here who can help.... there are not many beats (but it's been a while, so I may be mistaken) on the Don who allow spinning these days except in certain conditions. H

Terry Coging

« Reply #3 on: 20/05/2018 at 09:13 »
Thanks Hamish. I thought he wanted to take up fly fishing again?  Hmm... difficult to get on the Don...another dream dashed  :z6

James Laraway

« Reply #4 on: 20/05/2018 at 20:23 »
I don’t think the kemnay club water has spinning marks, nor Manar? You used to get tickets for both from Sloan’s of Inverurie

Paolo Canti

« Reply #5 on: 21/05/2018 at 09:38 »
Thank you guys...I received a kind private mail from a member of this forum. I imagined that spinning is not so well accepted in some of classic fly fishing waters, I understand and respect completely.
Before being a lure saltwater angler I have  always been a fly angler (from the age of 18 in my beloved Italian Alps).
After my presentation post here I felt the need to have some days fly fishing in UK, I was alone and had only 5 days so I decided for Wales. Very cheap direct flight from Lanzarote to Bristol so I decided to go alone.( Didn't find any direct fly to Aberdeen) . Had a fantastic experience with dry flies on the river Usk but the dream to come up to the hard scottish territories is still in my mind...hope this late summer to organize.
Un saludo
Paolo

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com