Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ashley Thomas

Forbes of Kingennie
« on: 14/04/2018 at 22:57 »
What a great water Kingennie is for a venture when the rivers are in sulk. Fished it today as part of the troutmasters heats. Fancied a go as its something I’ve never done before and I ended up winning!!

Turns out the Epic 476 can land 14lb rainbows.. I’ll take that  :z14

A photo for scale, a huge lump indeed and returned for someone else to enjoy  :z16

The bend in that Epic says it all  :z12

If your in the area or fancy a venture down to one of their luxurious lodges.. give it a try  :z16

Ash  :z16

Mike Barrio

Re: Forbes of Kingennie
« Reply #1 on: 14/04/2018 at 23:21 »
Looks like you had a good time :z12

Cheers
Mike

Ashley Thomas

« Reply #2 on: 15/04/2018 at 09:49 »
Looks like you had a good time :z12

Cheers
Mike
Sure did Mike, always great to be out on the water and when the big ones play its a bonus! That smallstream on the 476 is a dream come true, thanks a lot for that!

Cheers
Ash

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 16/04/2018 at 08:24 »
I was there the other week for a natter about the coarse loch they have recently re-opened.

Interestingly the chap said they were not stocking big trout anymore...if that's not a big trout, I wonder what used to be in the Boathouse pool?..lol

Ashley Thomas

« Reply #4 on: 17/04/2018 at 10:47 »
I was there the other week for a natter about the coarse loch they have recently re-opened.

Interestingly the chap said they were not stocking big trout anymore...if that's not a big trout, I wonder what used to be in the Boathouse pool?..lol
I did have a wonder round the coarse loch for a look, I believe its jammed with roach and some decent perch but I’m not really clued up on coarse fishing as such!

I believe the boathouse pool used to be named the “specimen pool” where trout of 5lb minimum were stocked in it before they then changed this due to costs etc. That fish I caught on Saturday was stocked last october so maybe they call that a small trout  :z7

Ash  :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 17/04/2018 at 11:19 »
I believe the boathouse pool used to be named the “specimen pool” where trout of 5lb minimum were stocked in it before they then changed this due to costs etc. That fish I caught on Saturday was stocked last october so maybe they call that a small trout  :z7

I used to fish the carp water when it was there and I got a call from an old boy fishing the specimen pool.

I thought he was having a heart attack as he was sweating, really strange colour and breathing hard. I was really worried!

Turned out he just needed help to get his 4 fish to the office. Not a single fish was under 20lbs!!

Rather nasty end, being dragged along the floor with a bit of old twin through their gills :(

Meanwhile, I landed 4 carp up to 18lbs and all were lovingly returned ;)

Ashley Thomas

« Reply #6 on: 17/04/2018 at 12:15 »
I used to fish the carp water when it was there and I got a call from an old boy fishing the specimen pool.

I thought he was having a heart attack as he was sweating, really strange colour and breathing hard. I was really worried!

Turned out he just needed help to get his 4 fish to the office. Not a single fish was under 20lbs!!

Rather nasty end, being dragged along the floor with a bit of old twin through their gills :(

Meanwhile, I landed 4 carp up to 18lbs and all were lovingly returned ;)

:z4 :z4

Do you reckon there is still big carp in the pond?

Ash

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 17/04/2018 at 13:05 »
:z4 :z4

Do you reckon there is still big carp in the pond?

Ash

There is...left over from the last netting. Idea is they will be moved to the coarse pond eventually, but they are not wanting a "big fish" water, just a place for people to have a bit of fun.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com