Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terry Coging

GT90i ?
« on: 11/04/2018 at 22:59 »
It just won't sink? Just a few inches would do to stop side drift and enable slow retrieves with small nymphs. Tried MUD but worried about trying anything else in case it spoils the line's integrity.  Just need to get the line to break the surface film. Suggestions please...

Eddie Sinclair

Re: GT90i ?
« Reply #1 on: 11/04/2018 at 23:21 »
Terry, I have moaned many times about floaters that start to sink st the tip when I don’t want them to. However that does not solve your problem. I don’t really have an answer other than buy someone else’s floating line that sinks at the tip or get a short nudge tip. Unfortunately Mikes floaters do what they say on the tin and float. Sorry I have no useful answer for you. Maybe one of the other guys can help.

Eddie.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 11/04/2018 at 23:44 »
Hi Terry :z16

Can't remember, is it a new GT90i intermediate line that you have? They can sometimes take a couple of outings to start working properly due to residue on the line from the manufacturing process ...... but you can speed up the process by pulling the line through a damp gripped cloth a couple of times, basically giving the line a wipe.

Let me know how you get on please.

Best wishes
Mike

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #3 on: 11/04/2018 at 23:52 »
Mike,

My mistake, thought it was a floating line.

Eddie

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 12/04/2018 at 00:35 »
No problem Eddie ...... it's always good to read customer feedback and tips, rather than just my own replies :z16

Cheers
Mike

Terry Coging

« Reply #5 on: 12/04/2018 at 07:20 »
Thanks Mike and Eddie. I used the line a couple of times last year and just got the tip sinking. It's a lovely line to cast now that I have the rod to do it. The Shakey would not keep enough controlled line in the air to get the benefit from this taper.  Every outing this year has been plagued with strong crosswinds and fishing a couple of nymphs slowly has been problematic. I'll try again today but wipe the line down with a weak detergent first.   :wink

Terry Coging

Re: GT90i ? New
« Reply #6 on: 12/04/2018 at 07:33 »
It's red face day for me  :oops :oops  I looked back through records and realise that this GT90 is a FLOATER! So my apologies for this mistake.  I bought an intermediate a couple of years ago and seem to have lost it among the mound of kit. Must find it and report later. 

Terry Coging

Re: GT90i ? New
« Reply #7 on: 12/04/2018 at 16:40 »
Found and  used the GT90 intermediate today - it sinks as specified  :z16  Had a couple of nice fish too.  Wish this stiff NE cold wind would go away.  Incidentally the GT90 #5 floater and intermediate are both really nice to use on the #6 FX1. 

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 12/04/2018 at 16:46 »
Great stuff Terry, I was out on the river in the wind today too .......... but no fish for me this time :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com