Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

after a salmon rod ?
« on: 09/04/2018 at 12:42 »
i dont often swing a double hander ( once or twice a year ) as the rivers i tend to fish are small so i thought " why dont i get rid of my more expensive double hander and get a cheaper rod - so i sold my Zpey inspire and got more money for it than i bought it for  :z16

anyhow speaking to a pal of mine he said that the Shakey Oracles are really good, and you always see on the forums people saying they are great so i spashed outless that £150 on a 13ft9 #9 oracle skandi and a airflo rage compact

now im no spey caster ( cant single spey - but can double or circle C i.e. anything with a sustained anchor) but OMG

soooooooo easy to cast - even i was putting out a lovely line ! Even the gillie was admiring my casting  :z14

the chaps there did say  " dont know why we spend £1000 on a rod..."  - i have to say i agree

Rob Brownfield

Re: after a salmon rod ?
« Reply #1 on: 09/04/2018 at 13:26 »
Was saying this to my cousins partner last night.

He was questioning his purchase of one. Off to the pond, out with the shooting heads, handed him my LTS, let him cast..handed him his Shakey..let him cast...eyes lit up, big smile on his face!

Happy days!!! The rod suited his "beginner" casting perfectly!

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 10/04/2018 at 08:30 »
Another  :z16 from me for the Oracles.

I wouldn't class myself as gods gift to Spey casting but similarly I wouldn't say I was a  beginner either and I prefer fishing my 15' 10/11 Oracle over my vastly more expensive Hardy Gem.

It also has the added benefit of not breaking simply by looking at it. If memory serves me correctly between three of us we have managed to break the Hardy 4 times (last time I broke it 3" above the cork whilst casting) and due to my Dad's shall we say "aggressive" casting stroke he's not even allowed to touch it anymore  :z4

:z18

Steven.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 10/04/2018 at 08:38 »
It also has the added benefit of not breaking simply by looking at it. If memory serves me correctly between three of us we have managed to break the Hardy 4 times (last time I broke it 3" above the cork whilst casting) and due to my Dad's shall we say "aggressive" casting stroke he's not even allowed to touch it anymore  :z4

:z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #4 on: 10/04/2018 at 09:00 »
Rob,

I'm not even joking, the bloody thing is like trigger's broom now!  :X1

:z18

Steven.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com