Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Re: Translucent guide whipping
« Reply #15 on: 11/04/2018 at 08:22 »
I went for a lemke LC1 up locking reel seat in nickel silver, I know that down locking reel seats are more traditional on a fibreglass build but I prefer the look of a up locking reel seat and as it my build that's what I did.

I am normally the same, but I actually accidently ordered the wrong reel seat, a down locking one. However, after fitting, I am glad I had as it does balance perfectly. But, uplocking does look better in my eyes.

What insert have you got?

Andrew Molyneux

« Reply #16 on: 11/04/2018 at 12:11 »
I went for rippled ash. Since I've started building the rod I notice that Taniwha Rodworks have added some more inserts, if I was to order again I might well go for one of the olive stained inserts.

I put the second coat of epoxy on this morning and the rod is turning as I type

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #17 on: 11/04/2018 at 12:31 »
Its the olive I have, super match!!

Rod will be ready for the weekend!!! Works stunningly well with Mikes GT90 or SLX 4 weights.

Andrew Molyneux

« Reply #18 on: 11/04/2018 at 17:18 »
Well the rod is off the turner.

For some reason I don't understand I have three tiny fish eyes, luckily it's only in the top layer of epoxy and unless I told you where they are you'd never notice. I think I'll leave them, I get the impression if I try to fix them I'll only make more of a mess.

I've been too heavy handed with the epoxy and most of the wrappings have an ever so slight rugby ball shape, they're particularly noticeable on the tip section. I was in a bit of rush this morning and I should have known better.  :X1

Overall I'm very pleased with the rod and I'm looking forward to fishing with it but that'll have to wait till next week. I'll post some pics up when the rod is fully dry.

Thanks for the help Rob :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #19 on: 12/04/2018 at 08:04 »
Fish eyes are annoying and are usually caused by contamination. When I make mine I have plastic garden "closhes" that I place over the rod to protect it from dust, and particularly sprays such as furniture polish etc. They get put in place if I have a break from the whipping as well, just in case.

I also wash my hands several times during the whipping process...just in case.

They can be fixed if you notice them on the drier. Take a clean needle (I wash in acetone first) and just "scribble" around the effected area, moving the epoxy about and drawing it into the centre of the fisheye. If you notice after the epoxy has set, you can either clean really well with acetone/a rod cleaner and recoat, or, if you have a bit of a rugby ball going on, take some wet and dry and sand the epoxy back a bit, clean and then recoat.

As for he rugby balls...we have all been there :) If I am in a rush I tend to end up with them as well, or if the epoxy is going off it does not level well.  If I am doing for someone else, I tend to put 3-5 very thin coats on (I thin the epoxy slightly too) rather than a base then top coat. You get a lovely finish, but it take ages.

Having said all that, you have a rod you have built, don't worry about the looks too much, just get out there and enjoy! :)

Andrew Molyneux

« Reply #20 on: 13/04/2018 at 13:26 »
Well I sneaked out for an hour with the new rod today. Managed a few bites, on a mix of dirty dusters and mini klinks,  as they where all from wee grayling they proved hard hit and I only go two to hand.

At close range the rod was excellent but any distance and my loops where a little inconsistent which I'm sure is user error. The Barrio mallard 4wt paired nicely with the rod, I'd like to try a small stream line too.

You can see the rugby ball shape on the guide whipping compared to the whipping on the female section.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #21 on: 13/04/2018 at 13:45 »
I am confused now...I thought we had the same blanks, but that looks more like the Epic Mark was selling.

As for the finish...nothing wrong with that...more than fishable and usable!! :)

Line wise, I am on a Barrio GT90. All the advice I could find suggested glass rods need a shortish front taper to carry the energy of the cast. Seems to work lovely.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com