Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Beattie

Dry fly
« on: 01/04/2018 at 20:27 »
Guys quite new to fly tying. I’m want to try dry flies size 12-14. What’s the best hackle to get not to expensive??
Ben

Hamish Young

Re: Dry fly
« Reply #1 on: 01/04/2018 at 21:10 »
Depends largely on what your definition of too expensive is  :wink

I tend to use Metz or Hoffman capes for my dries, half capes are usually a good option for most folk and eBay is usually a good source. I use saddles for some stuff but the sizes you're talking I'd opt for a cape over a saddle.

Whiting capes offer an Introductory Dry Fly Hackle pack of four half 'Rooster' capes (guess we aren't allowed to call them cock capes any more) which I think is not bad value at around the £50 mark. For top quality capes that will do the job then you have to pay the money.....

Ben Beattie

« Reply #2 on: 01/04/2018 at 21:15 »
Thanks for the info That’s what I was thinking better go for the more expensive stuff  will have a look on eBay the night.
Cheers again 

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 01/04/2018 at 21:17 »
Depends largely on what your definition of too expensive is  :wink

I tend to use Metz or Hoffman capes for my dries, half capes are usually a good option for most folk and eBay is usually a good source. I use saddles for some stuff but the sizes you're talking I'd opt for a cape over a saddle.

Ditto to that. Also depends what sort of Dries you are thinking of.
if you are just getting started, then some of the indian capes are decent enough for bigger flies and would save you some cash until you decide which colours you might need. A medium Dun and a Grizzle or Cree variant will cover you for just about everything, a lot of hackles are very similar colours when viewed from underneath, so it can be as much about personal choice regarding colours as about patterns. :z18 So one good Half cape in a neutral colour might be better value.

Sandy

Allan Liddle

« Reply #4 on: 01/04/2018 at 22:42 »
Agree to all of that, Lakeland is a good starting point as well if ebay not showing anything attractive, good source for all capes / saddles and good info on them as well when you call.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #5 on: 01/04/2018 at 23:03 »
Lathkill  has some decent capes, usually Whiting, or you could try Feather Emporium, they have some amazing stuff, go to his Bargain box ,  Derek Roxborough

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 02/04/2018 at 11:13 »
I would add that on the genetic "expensive" capes, very often the actual individual feathers are 8-10" long meaning you can get 3-5 flies per feather.

They seem expensive at first, but you can tie hundreds and hundreds from one cape.

Also, genetic capes are extremely uniform, and often sold by "fly size". For example, the black cape I have is sold for flies sized 16-14...and sure enough, the feathers are incredibly uniform. This means you have hardly any waste at all.

Terryll Monroe

« Reply #7 on: 22/08/2018 at 22:32 »
If you can find any where you live, or don't mind purchasing online,  Whiting has the High & Dry hackle for dry flies.  I use it all the time because of it's great quality and less expensive than the other Whiting  products.  For the sizes you want, High & Dry would be perfect.  In fact, I just purchased a High & Dry Grizzly cape today.
http://whitingfarms.com/high-and-dry-hackle/

Then there's the Whiting 100 pack.  About $20 in the USA, but each pack has enough hackle to tie 100 flies.  Most people  know use these for it's convenience.
https://www.jsflyfishing.com/whiting-farms-100s-saddle-pack

The 100 packs come in many colors,  and some shops don't carry too many.   J. Stockard and Blue Quill Anglers seem to have the most variety in colors.

David Martin

« Reply #8 on: 29/06/2019 at 11:20 »
Hi All..... I've been fly fishing for nearly 30 years but only started tying my own patterns for the last couple. I'm still holding off buying a Metz or Whiting cape due to the quantities of flies they can produce..! I know they will last me years. I'm still using a couple of £6 Indian cock capes that have a wide range of feather sizes and when coated in muslin oil, float and catch beautifully so I'm holding out on the Metz ones for now.. I'm limited down to size 16 hackles though. I like the cheaper individual feathers mentioned in the previous post though...!...

Most of my dries though are either cdc's or daddies or grey dusters..!.... :z16

Terryll Monroe

« Reply #9 on: 17/01/2020 at 19:12 »
In the USA  there's a hackle company called Collins Hackle.  The quality is very good, and the price is less than what you'd expect.  Not only that, but when you order a cape, you also get the saddle that comes with it.  So it's  pretty much a win /win situation.  Many people tie with Collins because of what I stated above. 

Here's a little more about Collins hackle: 
http://collinshacklefarm.com/Home.asp

Then as mentioned from others, Whitings High & Dry  is hard to beat as well.  I use it very often and it works extremely well. The price is very good for the product you receive,  so you really can't go wrong there either.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com