Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Heritage

Sink tips
« on: 26/03/2018 at 12:55 »
Hi Guys. It's a long time since I have been on a forum :cool:
I am going on "the trip of a lifetime" I promised myself after I retired. I am off to Iceland in July. I am told streamers can be effective so I will take a second outfit rigged up for streamer fishing. I was going to buy a full sinker but I have changed my mind and would prefer a sink tip instead. So, my question is what should the sink rate be? I have no experience of fishing them on running water. Would the 1.5/2 IPS that Barrios are rated be enough?
Mike

Will Shaw

Re: Sink tips
« Reply #1 on: 26/03/2018 at 14:11 »
Hi Mike

Great to hear from you and v. jealous about Iceland.

If it was me I'd take a range of salmon poly leaders in various sink rates, both 5ft and 10ft.

That way you can fine tune the depth.  If you're on rivers this is more important as you may need to adjust for current as well.

Hope this helps.

Will

Mike Heritage

« Reply #2 on: 26/03/2018 at 18:21 »
Good ideaWill, I will have a look at them.
BTW I lead Peter Hastings CI test yesterday. He was in the top two or three best prepared candidates I have had the pleasure of assessing. He claimes you had a hand in it, Well done.

Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 26/03/2018 at 18:42 »
Hi Mike ....... What Will said :z16

Iceland should be fun ....... enjoy :z12

Will Shaw

« Reply #4 on: 26/03/2018 at 19:03 »
Hi Mike

Hah! Peter is great isn’t he? Came to me for a lesson a few years ago and I ended up mentoring him through to his SGAIC cert.  Really glad he did well. He also makes a mean curry! 👍👍

Hope you’re well , and that we get to meet up again soon. It’s been way too long.

Will

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 26/03/2018 at 20:00 »
Will is right...  :z16
Versileaders, an intermediate SLX might be a good call too.

Mike Heritage

« Reply #6 on: 27/03/2018 at 21:44 »
You did a great job with him Will.
Oh dear Hamish, it shows how out of touch I have been, I didn't even realise there was an intermediate SLX. Good call though. I will be ordering some new lines soon.
Mike

Gavin Stevenson

« Reply #7 on: 28/03/2018 at 07:48 »
Mike, I have fished iceland for brown trout, can honestly say was fantastic. All my fish were on dry fly, rubber legged type that made disturbance when landing on water which appears to attract them.   

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 02/04/2018 at 09:59 »
I guess a lot depends if you are throwing streamers, or you are throwing "STREAMERS"... :X2

I use Mikes SLX and polyleaders for your standard unweighted streamers (woolly buggers etc) , but use Rio's streamer tip for weighted "proper" streamers. Its more of an aggressive taper than the SLX and punches heavy streamers well.

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 02/04/2018 at 10:09 »
Perhaps we need a Barrio 'BUFF streamer' line......

If anyone wonders what I'm going on about, look up the nickname for the B52 bomber  :z13

H

James Laraway

« Reply #10 on: 02/04/2018 at 12:22 »
yeah - lets have a barrio streamer line :-)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 02/04/2018 at 14:20 »
yeah - lets have a barrio streamer line :-)

Technically, we do ;) Mikes 22g Predator line...suites a modern fast actioned 7 weight :)

Hamish Young

« Reply #12 on: 02/04/2018 at 14:30 »
...suits a modern fast actioned 7 weight :)
True, but it does need to be a 'stout' #7wt  :wink
If Mike H is involved, I dare say that #7wt will be quite stout in nature  :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #13 on: 02/04/2018 at 15:11 »
True, but it does need to be a 'stout' #7wt  :wink
If Mike H is involved, I dare say that #7wt will be quite stout in nature  :z4

Like my 9 weight Helios....lol

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #14 on: 03/04/2018 at 05:57 »
Perhaps we need a Barrio 'BUFF streamer' line......

If anyone wonders what I'm going on about, look up the nickname for the B52 bomber  :z13

H

:z4 :z4 :z4 Thats called deflection, H  :z4 :z4 :z4

Besides in terms of actual usage the B52 was more of a carpet bomber, which would be good for Nymphing, but for Streamers, perhaps "Paveway" might be better  :z16

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com