Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Barrio ST27 Distance Casting Heads New
« on: 23/03/2018 at 18:16 »

For those of you that enjoy distance casting events ..... following numerous requests - these are now back in stock :)

The Barrio ST27 has been specifically designed for 27 gram distance casting competitions ( the Sea Trout Distance event )

The ST27 Tournament Head is approx 42.5 feet long ( approx 13 metres ) with a target head weight of 416 grains ( very slightly under 27 grams ) and a belly diameter of 1.84 mm ..... a totally new profile for 2018.

These are great fun to cast ............. Enjoy!

Terry Coging

Re: Barrio ST27 Distance Casting Heads
« Reply #1 on: 24/03/2018 at 10:16 »
For the uninitiated like me - what rod and running line would be used for this class of tournament?

Oh - and what sort of distances are achieved?

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 24/03/2018 at 10:48 »
For the uninitiated like me - what rod and running line would be used for this class of tournament?

There are a number of blanks used for 27g tournament casting, Steve at AtomSix rods makes one for this discipline and for the T38 . Personally, I use one of two rods for the ST27. The first is a 10' 3 piece Orvis prototype that never made it into production and the other a custom built Orvis Access 9' #12wt.
Because I'm a reasonably solid fellow I can turn the 10' rod more readily with a ST27 zipping through the air, most prefer a 9' rod as it's easier on the wrist.

Depending on the caster the reality is that most single handed rods from #10wt upwards can cope with an ST27 and I know of at least one caster who uses a very stiff #9wt.

Running line is very much personal preference, but I tend to use Varivas Airs shooting line in 22lb or Amnesia in 20lb. I've seen folk use braid and others Maxima  :shock

Oh - and what sort of distances are achieved?

In ideal conditions I've hit 51 metres and I usually manage to get consistent mid to high 40's without much practice. But, like anything casting related, consistency comes from the right sort of practice.

H

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 24/03/2018 at 13:02 »
Thanks Hamish :z16

You can also find some of the British Fly Casting Club records here Terry: http://www.thebfcc.co.uk/records

Best wishes
Mike

Terry Coging

« Reply #4 on: 25/03/2018 at 09:09 »
Thanks Mike and Hamish.  I can see some of our club having a dabble at that. If there was an 80+ category I might even start practising myself  :cool:

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com