Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Steven Scott

Flyline
« on: 22/03/2018 at 17:30 »
 Hello guys looking for some recommendations on floating fly line i am a new comer to fly fishing i have a grays gr50  9.5 #7 rod and a grays gts700 reel not looking to spend more that £70 thanks it appreciated

James Laraway

Re: Flyline
« Reply #1 on: 22/03/2018 at 18:11 »
Go for one of mikes SLX lines, they are superb

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 22/03/2018 at 18:39 »
As above can't go wrong with one of Mikes lines

:z18

Jim

Steven Scott

« Reply #3 on: 22/03/2018 at 19:06 »
Thanks il have herd u get a better cast with a heavy line ie fishing a #8 waight line on a #7 rod is this true or false

James Laraway

« Reply #4 on: 22/03/2018 at 19:21 »
It's a bit of a fad with some manufacturers saying they well their lines half a weight heavier. Get a 7wt Barrio SLX, you won't regret it

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 22/03/2018 at 20:28 »
Thanks il have herd u get a better cast with a heavy line ie fishing a #8 waight line on a #7 rod is this true or false
Its false  ZX2
It's also true  :X1  :X7

Herewith a useful explanation from the late great Lefty Kreh:

There are situations where using a line heavier than the rod calls for will also aid in casting and catching fish, such as when fishing small streams for trout. Where pools are short and casts are restricted in distance, a heavier line can be just the right answer. For example, on many brook trout streams, the pool may be only 10 or 15 feet long and you are forced to use a leader that is at least 7-1/2 feet long. That means that only a few feet of your fly line — the weight that loads or flexes the rod — is outside the rod tip. When fishing where distance is very short and only a few feet of fly line are outside the rod tip, it is important to switch to a line that is heavier. For example, if you were using a rod designed for a four-weight line and had to cast most of the time at targets less than 20 feet, placing a five- or even a six-weight line on the rod would let you load the rod, and casting would be much easier.

I suppose it depends on what the qualification of 'a better cast' actually is.
Whilst we dwell on that, go buy an SLX 7 you'll be fine  :z16
Buy some time with an instructor as well and you'll be even better  :z18

Steven Scott

« Reply #6 on: 29/03/2018 at 10:05 »
Cheers mate its appesated will do i am goin to order some slx to i have has time with john millie fly casting lessons

Andrew Molyneux

« Reply #7 on: 10/04/2018 at 20:52 »
Casting lessons are the best thing I have bought since I started fly fishing

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com