Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Bryan Redd

Red Ibis---substitute?
« on: 18/03/2018 at 17:41 »
Some of the classic flies such as the Alexandria used Red Ibis (which I assume is no longer available).

What's the "best" substitute?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Bryan

Hamish Young

Re: Red Ibis---substitute?
« Reply #1 on: 18/03/2018 at 17:48 »
Goose - in fact I think most substitutes on offer for Ibis are goose.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #2 on: 18/03/2018 at 20:59 »
find a friend with a parrot, African greys have red under wings and Military Macaws have a lot of red  I used to get the cast off feathers from a friends Grey, Derek  Roxborough

Bryan Redd

« Reply #3 on: 20/03/2018 at 17:16 »
Hamish and Derek,

Thanks for your replies. 

The color in the pictures I've seen of the Red Ibis  is an intense red, indeed.  I've not yet found any Goose that has that degree of intensity.

Don't have any friends with parrots, but perhaps time to cruise some pet shops!!

Cheers,
Bryan

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #4 on: 20/03/2018 at 20:22 »
Hamish and Derek,

Thanks for your replies. 

The color in the pictures I've seen of the Red Ibis  is an intense red, indeed.  I've not yet found any Goose that has that degree of intensity.

Don't have any friends with parrots, but perhaps time to cruise some pet shops!!

Cheers,
Bryan
I got some of mine that way, befriend your local petshop, Derek Roxborough

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 02/04/2018 at 11:19 »
Veniards have Red Ibis substitute that's pretty good. The colour is pretty close although it lacks the vibrancy of the real feather.....as do most died substitutes.

Bryan Redd

« Reply #6 on: 03/04/2018 at 01:33 »
Rob,

Thank you for the suggestion.  I did look at those.   

I've never seen the Ibis in person, but the pictures I've seen of them are sure vibrant.   Hard to replicate in substitutes.  But they sure look great in the photos.

I've not had a chance to visit with local pet shops to see if there are any feathers there that might be close in the red vibrancy to the Ibis.

Cheers,
Bryan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com